Residential Building Permits
The City of Georgetown has adopted the 2015 International Residential Code (IRC) and the 2015 International Energy Conservation Code (IECC) and the 2017 NEC
A building permit is required to construct, enlarge, alter, repair, move, demolish, or change the occupancy of a building or structure, or to erect, install, enlarge, alter, repair, remove, convert, or replace any electrical, gas, mechanical or plumbing system.
If the project address is located within the ETJ/County and the City of Georgetown is the water, wastewater, and/or electric provider, then building permits will apply.
How to obtain a permit:
The City of Georgetown utilizes MyGovernmentOnline.org, a web-based permitting software. This system allows homeowners, contractors, and developers the ability to log in using a unique password and account ID to:
- Submit digital plans and documents that will be reviewed, stored, and linked to the users secure account
- Track the status of current projects including comments, mark-ups and other relevant information
- Schedule Inspections and receive real-time notification of the results via email and phone message
- Apply and pay for permits online
Click here for the instructions to apply for permits online.
Apply online at www.mygovernmentonline.org for any of the permits listed below:
- Residential New Construction
- Residential Remodel and/or Addition
- Accessory Building (Storage Buildings)
- Alarm – Please contact the police department or click here
- Certificate of Appropriateness for Downtown and/or Old Town Overlays
- Driveways & Sidewalks
- Expired Permit
- Foundation Repair
- Impervious Cover Info
- Patio Cover
- Swimming Pool
- Click here for complete list of miscellaneous permit information.
Residential Plan Review:
Residential Plan Review is ten (10) business days to fourteen (14) business days from the time your application is accepted. Once the permit is issued you will receive notification via email from firstname.lastname@example.org and the amount of the permit.
Inspections are conducted Monday thru Friday 8:00am to 3:30pm.
All inspections must be requested online at www.mygovernmentonline.org before 3:00pm for next business days in most cases. We do not accept inspection requests via telephone.
Inspectors are available for any questions you may have Monday thru Friday 3:30pm to 4:30pm or you can email them at any time.
Residential Certificate of Occupancy:
The City of Georgetown does not issue a Certificate of Occupancy for residential homes. The building final inspection serves as the Certificate of Occupancy. If you are the permit holder, you may print the building final report from your www.mygovernmentonline.org account.
How much is a permit?
Click here to view fee schedule
Additional information needed specific to your project?
Click here to submit an inquiry specific to your project
General Permitting Questions:
For any questions, please email email@example.com
For instructions on how to use www.mygovernmentonline.org, click here
For My Government Online Tech Support – (866) 957-3764