Residential Remodels & Additions

Planning to add an addition to your home? Before you begin, you will need to acquire permits and submit plans.

Listed below, are the types of permits required to add an addition to a residential home, depending on the complexity of the project:

  • Residential Building Permit for construction of architectural and structural elements (if applicable)
  • Electrical Permit for all electrical installations
  • Plumbing Permit for all installations of plumbing and gas piping systems.
  • Mechanical Permit for the installations, alterations or extensions of new duct work; or the addition or extension of a mechanical heating or cooling system.

Permit Process:

Application Submittal

Complete an online residential remodel application online at with the following required construction documents in PDF format :

  • An official survey, scaled plat with Impervious Cover Calculations or Impervious Cover Calculations Worksheet  (for additions)
  • A site plan indicating location of addition. Must include dimensions, impervious cover calculation, setback lines, drainage easements, and Public Utility Easements.
  • Engineered Stamped Foundation Plan (for additions or foundation repair)
  • Architectural scale drawing of the new structure which shows the following:
    • Floor plan which indicates:
      • Dimensions & identification of all rooms & spaces
      • Location, size and types of all windows & doors
      • Smoke and Carbon Monoxide detectors locations
    • Roof framing plans indicating all beams, rafters, trusses & columns
    • Floor framing plans indicating all joists, beams & columns
    • If trusses are being used, truss package shall be submitted
    • Typical exterior & interior wall sections
    • Exterior elevations showing the front, right, left & rear of structure
    • Architectural drawing of any stairs, railings, interior walls, fireplaces, rock walls & retaining walls
    • Electrical riser diagram, load calculations & panel location
    • Plumbing riser diagram, and plumbing fixtures listed
    • HVAC diagram and calculations
    • 2015 International Energy Code Compliance report. Compliance can be shown by using the REScheck form that is available at
    • A clear distinction between existing construction, alterations to existing, and new work. Separate ‘existing’ and ‘proposed’ within the plans will make the distinction easier to review

Plan Review

Residential Plan Review is ten (10) business days to (14) business days from the time your application is accepted. Once the permit is issued you will receive notification via email from and the amount of the permit.

Permit Approval

Once the permit is issued you will receive notification via email from and the amount of the permit. The Trades (if applicable to the project) will obtain Trade Permits  under the projects main permit number.

After all fees are paid and all applicable trades (mechanical, electrical, plumbing) have obtained permits, then construction may begin and inspections can be requested.


All inspections must be requested online at before 3:00PM for the next business day in most cases.  (Required inspections will be listed in the project/permit files under the requirements tab)


The cost for permits varies depending upon each project.

For an overview of permit fees, see: Construction Fee Schedule

Important Links

Fee schedule

Code of Ordinances related to Building and Construction

Unified Development Code

Chapter 6  of the Unified Development Code – Residential Dimensional and Design Standards

Chapter 6 of the Unified Development Code – Residential Single Family District

Chapter 8 of the Unified Development Code – Residential Fences

Chapter 9 of the Unified Development Code – Off Street Parking Requirements

Chapter 11 of the Unified Development Code  – Impervious Cover Requirements

Chapter 12 of the Unified Development Code – Driveway and Sidewalk Requirements

Electrical Code Ordinance

Tree & Landscaping

International Building Code

Energy Code Compliance aka RES Check

Interactive Maps

Additional Information

Any permit expires 6 months after the last approved inspected activity on the site.

General Questions

For questions,please contact

Irrigation Systems

An Irrigation Permit is required before you install any lawn irrigation system which you permanently connect to the City’s water supply.

A lawn sprinkler permit is not required when making repairs to the piping of an existing lawn irrigation system unless the back-flow prevention device is being replaced.

After the system has been installed and completed. A State certified back flow prevention tester must test the back flow device and a cross connection test report form must be completed. This form must be uploaded to within 72 hours of test completion and the back flow test inspection requested via .

Click here for Backflow Prevention Testing Info

Where to apply:

Apply online at for a lawn sprinkler permit, select  irrigation application  and upload the stamped irrigation plan, as built plans if the irrigation system includes a new water service/water meter.

After the irrigation system is installed and back flow device is tested, please upload the back flow test report to and request the back flow inspection at .

Additional requirements may required if installing a new water tap.

Click here for fee schedule 

For questions, please contact


A Fence Permit is required to erect a new fence on a property located within our City limits, with the exception of agricultural uses, as well as pet or livestock, garden, or similar fencing provided the fence is in a property that has a perimeter fence. Required permits must be obtained prior to initiating any work.

For minor alterations to an existing fence, such as replacements of pickets, panels, posts or other materials, a permit is only required if the changes exceed one third (1/3) of the facing of the existing fence. Any vertical or linear addition or the relocation of an existing fence requires a new permit. Please note that all fences must be kept in good repair and in a safe and attractive condition, consistent with the design established with the Fence Permit.

If you are not sure if a fence permit is required, you can contact the  (512) 930-2550 or via email at for further assistance.

Below is a list of questions to assist you in obtaining a Fence Permit:

Q:  Where do I apply for a fence permit?

A:  A completed Fence Permit Application with all required supporting documents and fee must be submitted online at

Q:  How much does a fence permit cost?

A:  The current fee to apply for a fence permit is listed on fee schedule. Please note that this fee may be subject to change.

Q:  What do I need to bring in order to apply for a permit?

  1. Please click here to read about the fence permit procedure
  2. A copy of the survey of the property identifying the location, height and material of the proposed fence.
  3. Application fee of $31.00. Please note that the fee may be subject to change.

Q:  Must a fence be designed by an engineer?

A:  Masonry, stone, rock and brick walls that are eight (8) feet or taller and pre-engineered walls/products require fence details signed and sealed by an engineer. Please note that retaining walls that are over three (3) feet in height must be designed by an Engineer.

      For all fences, plans and details must be legible, include all pertinent information (i.e. height, length, material, etc.), and preferably drawn to a 1/4-inch or 1/8-inch scale.

Q:  How much time does it take to process a fence permit?

A:  Currently, the City strives to process all fence permits within  10 business days from receipt of a complete application. This time may be extended if a License to Encroach is required for the proposed fence. To help expedite your review, please ensure that all required documents and plans are submitted with the permit application in compliance with local codes and this Customer Bulletin.

Q:  Will the fence be inspected once complete?

A:  Yes. All new fences, to include replacement of existing fences, will be inspected after permit is issued. Inspections may be scheduled online at For a quick walk through of how to use MyGovernmentOnline, click here.

Q:  Are there limitations to the type of materials that may be used to construct a fence?

A:  Fences may be made of wood, stone, rock, concrete block, masonry brick, brick, decorative wrought iron, chain link, welded wire, or other similar material. Prohibited materials include plywood, paper, plastic, fiberglass panels, chicken wire, fabric, or sheet, roll or corrugated metals. The finished “face” side of the fence (opposite the structural supports) must face all public streets and public parkland.

However, please note there are additional fence requirements for certain types of uses. These standards are detailed in Section 8.07 of the UDC. In addition:

  1. Fences within the front yard must be 50% opened (i.e. wrought iron or picket fence).
  2. For -residential uses, barbed wire fences are not allowed on lots of less than 2 acres.
  3. For apartment complexes, only wrought iron or similar material is allowed in the front and side setbacks when abutting a local or collector street; wood fences may be allowed within the setbacks that abut another property.
  4. Swimming pools require a fence/barrier surrounding the pool with a self-latching gate in accordance with the 2000 International Residential Code (“IRC”). Please refer to Appendix G of the IRC for swimming pool standards.

All fences must be constructed to perpetually maintain structural integrity against natural forces such as wind, rain and temperature variations. Fences constructed of chain link, welded wire, picket or similar materials shall require a minimum of two (2) support rails spaced at least one half (½) of the total height of the fence apart.

In addition, we highly encourage you to check with your Home Owner’s Association for additional restrictions or requirements that may be applicable to you.

Q:  Are there height limitations for building a fence?

A:  In accordance with Section 8.07 of the UDC, fences may be built to the heights shown in the table below. Fence height is to be measured from the ground level on the higher side of the fence or wall.

  Single-family, two-family and townhome Apartment Complex Non-residential
Front Yard 4 ft max; 50% opened 6 ft max 4 ft max; 50% opened
Side Setback 6 ft max; however,4 ft max if abutting a local or collector street;5 ft max if abutting an alley 8 ft max; however,6 ft max if abutting a local or collector street 8 ft max; however,4 ft max if abutting a local or collector street
Rear Setback 6 ft max; however,5 ft max if abutting an alley10-ft setback required if abutting a local or collector street 8 ft max 8 ft max

Please note that certain uses have specific or additional standards. These standards are detailed in Section 8.07 of the UDC. In addition, fences in the side and rear setbacks of single-family, two-family and townhome residential uses may be increased to 8 feet in height under certain circumstances as specified in Section 8.07.040(B)(4) of the UDC and the Residential Fence UDC Interpretation dated June 21, 2013 (, Chapter 8). For industrial and utility uses, barbed wire may be used above any conventional 6-foot fence provided the total height does not exceed 8 feet.

For additional information, please contact the Inspections and Permitting Department at (512) 930-2550 or via email at, or the Planning Department at (512) 930-3575 or via email at

Q:  Are there exceptions to the materials or height limitations?

A:  Alternative fence materials, location and height may be considered by the Planning Director through the City’s Administrative Exception process. Section 8.07.080 of the UDC details the justifiable reasons for requesting an exception. For further information on the fence alternative options and Administrative Exception process, please contact the Planning Department at (512) 930-3575 or via email at

Please note that Administrative Exceptions must be approved prior to applying for a fence permit. In this event, a copy of the approved Administrative Exception must be included with the fence permit application.

Q:  How do I know which side is the front of my property?

A:  For corner or multi-frontage lot, the front is determined by the shortest street frontage of the lot. Where the lot is relatively square or unusually shaped, a request may be made to the Planning Director for a determination. For further questions, please contact the Planning Department at (512) 930-3575 or via email at

Q:  My fence will be built on a corner lot. Does this make a difference?

A:  In accordance with the “Sight Triangle” requirements in Section 12.03.050 of the UDC, no fence or wall more than 25% solid or more than 3 feet tall shall be located within 25 feet of the right-of-way at the intersection of two streets or within 8 feet of the intersection of a street and an alley.

Q:  There is an easement on my property. Can I build my fence over or across the easement?

A:  Walls or other fencing proposed to be located near a public utility easement, or buried or above-ground utility equipment that are made up of masonry or a similar product and containing a poured foundation shall require review by the Development Engineer prior to approval. A License to Encroach pursuant to Section 3.21 may also be required.

For non-residential uses, fences within a required setback adjacent to a public right-of-way may not be located in a public or landscape easement.

Fences may not be located within a drainage easement or floodway area. Fences proposed within the 100 year Flood Plain will require approval of a Flood Plain Development Permit.

For additional information, please contact the Inspections and Permitting Department at (512) 930-2550 or via email at

Q:  May I remove a tree that will interfere with the construction of the fence?

A:  Residential subdivisions that were platted prior to February 13, 2007, may remove trees without obtaining further approval from the City.

Residential subdivisions platted after February 13, 2007, and all other properties may not be clear-cut or selectively cleared, or have a Protected or Heritage Tree removed, without first obtaining the necessary approvals from the City.  To read more about heritage trees, please visit, chapter 7.

Q:  May I place a sign on the fence?

A:  All messages or advertising on fences or walls are considered signage and thus are not allowed on fences unless permitted in accordance with Chapter 10, Sign Standards, of the UDC.

Q:  Are there any other permits required for a fence?

A:  Fences on properties located in the Downtown Overlay District, or on two-family, multi-family and commercial properties in the Old Town Overlay District, approval of a Certificate of Design Compliance (“CDC”) by the Historical Architectural Review Committee (“HARC”) is required. When applicable, a copy of the approved CDC must be included with the fence permit application packet. For additional information on the CDC application process, please contact the Planning Department at (512) 930-3575 or via email at

      Walls or other fencing proposed to be located near a public utility easement or buried or above-ground utility equipment that are made up of masonry or a similar product and containing a poured foundation may require a License to Encroach pursuant to Section 3.21. For additional information, please contact the Inspections and Permitting Department at (512) 930-2550

Q:  May I build a temporary fence?

A:  Temporary fences are permitted subject to the issuance of a Fence Permit. However, temporary fences for a site with an active Building Permit, Storm water Permit, or part of a roadway construction project are allowed without a Fence Permit. This type of temporary fence must be removed at the expiration of such Permit or the conclusion of construction, whichever occurs first.

Q:  May I build an electric fence?

A:  Electric fences are allowed subject to the following:

1.   Electric fences must be placed within a minimum of 10 feet from any public rights-of-way or sidewalk;

2.   Electric fences must be placed a minimum of two (2) feet from all private property lines.

3.   A “Warning: Electric Fence in Operation” sign at least 12 inches x 12 inches in size must be posted at intervals of not more than 50 feet apart and located not more than 1 foot away from the fence.

Q:  Are there additional reviews required for a fence?

A:  All fencing that will cause a diversion of water runoff or otherwise prevent the natural flow of storm water shall require review by the Development Engineer prior to approval.

      Walls or other fencing proposed to be located near a public utility easement, or buried or above-ground utility equipment that are made up of masonry or a similar product and containing a poured foundation shall require review by the Development Engineer prior to approval. Additionally, a License to Encroach pursuant to Section 3.21 of the UDC may be required.

Fences proposed within the 100 year Flood Plain require the review and approval of a Flood Plain Development Permit.

For additional information, please contact the Inspections and Permitting Department at (512) 930-2550 or via email at

Q:  Are there any other requirements for a fence?

A:  All fences and fencing locations shall be in compliance with the requirements of the adopted Building Code, Fire Code, or any other health and safety provision adopted by the City of Georgetown. In the event that a Building Code or Fire Code requirement supersedes any provision of the UDC or would make such provision unworkable, those codes shall govern.

Additionally, Chapter 5 of the UDC contains provisions for fencing materials, heights, and locations associated with particular uses that are allowed with additional requirements in certain zoning districts. Below are references to each such provision with the corresponding section number:

A.  Day Care – UDC Section 5.030.020.B

B.   Bed and Breakfast – UDC Section 5.04.020.A and B

C.  Offices in the RS District – UDC Section 5.04.020.J

D.  Self-storage – UDC Section 5.04.020.P

E.   Fuel sales – UDC Section 5.04.020.S

F.   Intermediate Utility Services – UDC Section 5.05.020.B

G.  Outdoor Storage, Limited – UDC Section 5.09.030.B

H.  Outdoor Storage, General – UDC Section 5.09.030.C

For additional information, please contact the Inspections and Permitting Department at (512) 930-2550 or via email at

Accessory Building (Storage Building/Garage/Carport)

Per Chapter 6, section 6.06 of the Unified Development Code, a permit is required for an Accessory Building (Storage Building, Garages, & Carports) withing the City Limits of Georgetown. The following requirements must be met except as specified:

  •  Accessory structures and buildings shall meet the dimensional standards of the base zoning district, except as specified in this Section of the UDC.
  • The accessory structure shall only be located on a lot with a principal structure, unless two adjacent lots have common ownership, in which case the structures may be located on different lots. In such instance, the accessory structure shall be located in the rear yard as determined by the lot with the principal structure on it.
  • The square footage of an accessory structure shall not exceed 25% of the square footage of the principal structure. For the purposes of this calculation, the square footage of a garage shall not be considered part of the principal structure.
  •  Accessory structures measuring 8 feet or less in height are allowed in the setbacks in the rear yard up to 3) feet from the property line, but may not extend into any P.U.E. Properties in the Old Town Overlay District must follow the procedures outlined in Section 4.09.040, Special Exception for Setback Modification and the approval process pursuant to Section 3.15.
  • Garages and carports, whether attached or detached from the principal structure, shall be set back a minimum of 25 feet from the public street from which the associated driveway takes access or a minimum of 10 feet when taking access from a public alley.
  • No more than 30% of the rear yard may be covered with accessory buildings or structures. All impervious cover requirements in Section 11.02 shall be met.
  • Accessory dwelling units located in accessory structures in the AG, RE, RL, and RS Districts are allowed subject to the limitations provided for in Section 5.02.020.B or within a Housing Diversity Development without limitations (as detailed in Section 6.07.020).
  • Per Code of Ordinances  Sec. 15.03.110. – Section 401.1.2  All foundations shall be designed and constructed in accordance with engineering practices and within the scope of this code. Upon completion of the foundation construction or concrete application an engineer’s certification shall be required for inspection purposes. The certification shall contain no opinions or disclaimers and shall provide that the foundation was inspected and meets the engineered design, live and dead loading, and soil condition per requirements of the 2012 International Residential Building Code.” Exception: This shall not apply to accessory structures less than 200 square feet and are considered as portable on skids.

How to apply for an Accessory Building Permit

Submittal Requirements for Storage Building/Garage/Carport:

  • Completed application online at
  • Official Site Survey indicating the property lines and proposed accessory building location with dimensions.
  • Impervious cover calculations 
  • Foundation Plans –If Accessory building is over 200 sq ft, an Engineered Foundation Plan  must be provided per City Ord# 15.03.110 Sec 401.1.2. If the accessory building is portable on skids, a notarized letter from the homeowner stating the storage building will be used for storage purposes only and will not be occupied may be accepted along with manufactured installation specs.
  • Construction drawings to include framing, dimensions, type of foundation, or indicate portable on skids***.

***For Storage Buildings Portable on over 200 sq ft  Only – a Notarized Letter from the Homeowner with the address and storage building size listed. The letter must also state the storage building will  be used for storage purposes only and will not be occupied. This letter will be accepted in lieu of an engineered foundation plan.


Permit Process:

  • Apply online at
  • Select Accessory Building in drop down box when applying
  • Upload supporting construction documents
  • Application accepted for review
  • Project # is assigned.  The cost of the permit is $50.00 plus $.40 per sq ft
  • Payment must be made in order to initiate plan review process
  • Allow ten (10) business days for review
  • Notification will be sent via e-mail from
  • Pay balance (if applicable)
  • Request required inspections – All inspections must be requested at by 3:00pm for the next business day

Required Inspections:

  • Set Back Inspection-Locate and Expose the Property Iron Pins and install a string line to form an outline of where accessory building is to be constructed/placed on property. If existing property pins cannot be located, the property boundary must be established by measurement from existing benchmarks or by placement of new property marks through a registered survey.**
  • Building Final Inspection – Property Iron Pins shall be left exposed for final inspection.

Please Note:

**The Owner/Contractor is responsible to properly locate the property lines; locate pins on survey, and assuring that the work is completed in compliance with applicable codes and ordinances. ***If a permanent foundation is proposed, pre-pour inspections will apply. ****If electrical or plumbing is part of project, additional permitting and inspections apply.


Common Questions:

 What is an official property survey? 

A property survey is a drawn record of the boundaries, orientation and easements associated with a lot of land.

What does an official property survey look like?

Click here for an example of a property survey

Where can I locate a copy of my property survey?

A survey is typically provided when you purchase a home and you should have been given a copy at your closing. Check with your closing documents and see if there is a copy in the paperwork and you already have it. If not contact the title company or your realtor. They should be able to either pull it from their files, or get it from the survey company for you.

Does the City of Georgetown have a copy of my survey?

To determine if the City of Georgetown does have a copy of your property survey, an open records request will have to be completed. The City of Georgetown has adopted the Texas State Library & Archives Commission retention schedule.

Does the Williamson County Clerk have a copy of my survey? 

No, the Williamson County Clerk’s office does not have copies of your property survey.

What is a plat?

A plat is the official map of an addition or subdivision, showing the number and dimensions of lots, public rights-of-way, and easements. The plat must be filed with the County Clerk after the City has approved it.

What is the difference between a plat and a property survey?

plat usually shows the dimensions of the property before the improvements are made. A plat will often cover more than one lot or parcel of land. For example, a developer will have a plat of an entire subdivision drawn; A survey usually only shows one lot.

Does the Williamson County Clerk have copies of subdivision plats? 

Yes, the Williamson County Clerk’s office does keep copies of the subdivision plats.

How do I search online for a copy of a subdivision plat? 

Please click here for directions to search for a subdivision plat

Does the Williamson County Appraisal District have a copy of my property survey? 

No, the Williamson County Appraisal District does not have copies of property surveys.

What is Impervious Cover? 

Per Chapter 16 of the Unified Development Code: Impervious Cover – Any hard-surfaced, man-made area that does not readily absorb or retain water, including, but not limited to, building roofs, parking and driveway areas, pavement, graveled areas, sidewalks, and paved recreation areas. Impervious Cover is subject to the determination of the Development Engineer. Includes and may be referred to as the term “Impervious Surface”.

Why is there Impervious Cover limitations? 

Per Chapter 11 of the Unified Development Code : Impervious cover limitations are adopted to minimize negative flooding effects from stormwater runoff and to control, minimize, and abate water pollution resulting from urban runoff of rainwater or other non-point specific sources, pursuant to Texas Water Code § 26.177

Where can I find more information on Impervious Cover Limitations?

 For more information on Impervious Cover Limitations, please visit Chapter 11 of the Unified Development Code.

I live in the Old Town Overlay/Downtown Overlay, are there additional requirements?

If you live in the Old Town Overlay/Downtown Overlay a Certificate of Appropriateness may apply. For more info, please click here Instructions

Please click here for instructions to apply online

Please contact us at or (512) 930-2550 with any questions.

Trade Permits

Permitting Info:

Apply online at  for the following Trade Permits:

  • Electrical Only*
  • Plumbing Only* **
  • Mechanical Only*

*For any electrical, plumbing, or mechanical trade permits, you must be a registered contractor. If you are the homeowner and plan do to the work yourself, then a Homeowners Exempt Form must be submitted along with your permit application.

**Plumbing, Electrical, and/or Mechanical Permits requested as part of new construction project must be requested under the main permit number for that particular new construction project.  Please contact general contractor for permit number.

Once the permit is issued, you will receive notification to pay from

Requesting Inspections:

All inspections must be requested online through your account by 3:00 PM for next business days in most cases.

Inspections will be conducted Monday – Friday between the hours of 9:00 AM 11:30 AM for the following types of permits (or any inspections that require the homeowner to be present):

  • Water Heater
  • Mechanical Change Out
  • Solar Tubes/Attic Fans
  • Water Softener

For all other questions, please email

Sign Permits & Standards

The City of Georgetown regulates the permitting, design, location, construction, erection, modification, use, maintenance, and removal of signs within the City of Georgetown and its Extra-Territorial Jurisdiction (ETJ). A sign may only be erected, placed, established, painted, created, or maintained in conformance with the requirements of the ordinances.


Apply online at for any of the following permits:

Sign and Banner Permit Application

Builder way finding signage

Permit Fee:

Sign Permit $81.00 each

Rules & Regulations:

Chapter 10 Sign Standards of Unified Development Code

Unified Development Code

HARC/ Downtown Overlay / Old Town Overlay:

Historic & Downtown Sign Standards and Information

Downtown way finding & signage master-plan

For questions regarding HARC/Downtown Overlay/ Old Town Overlay signs,  please email:  historic@Georgetown.Org

Plan Review:

The plan review for a permanent sign is fourteen (14) business days from the time your permit application is accepted and payment is made.

The plan review for a Temporary Banner is up to three business days from the time your permit application is accepted.

Once your permit is approved, you will receive notification via email from

Sign Violations/Complaints:

For concerns or complaints about a possible sign violation contact the Code Enforcement Team at (512) 930-3606 or  to email please click here.

General Sign Questions:

For general sign questions, please email Sign Permits


All inspections must be requested before 3:00p.m. online at for the next business day in most cases. We do not accept inspection request via telephone.

My Government Online:

Click Here for a  copy of the User Manual

My Government Online Tech Support – (866) 957-3764

Create an Account

How to Create a New User Account for

*Prior to getting started, we encourage you to download and install the web browser Mozilla Firefox. While
the MyGovernmentOnline software is designed to operate in any web browser, we have found that Mozilla
Firefox is the most secure browser platform when logged on to

1. To get started, go to and click on the Permits and Licensing link
as shown with the red arrow below.

2. Click on the New Account link at the top right of your screen.

3. Fill in the user account login information required to create your new account. A valid E-mail address is required. The password you enter is very important. Please do not forget the e-mail address. Also ensure that you are not typing in capital letters as the password you enter will be case sensitive. The telephone number you enter must be an active working telephone number. The software service will call the telephone number once you have completed the account creation process. You must be able to answer the telephone call in order for your account to become active. Please phrase the Challenge Question in the form of a question such as “What is your mother’s maiden name?” The answer you type should be one word only such as “Smith.”

4. You will receive an “Account Created” confirmation stating that your account has been created.
Click the Close button to close the message. A telephone call to the telephone number you
provided will follow shortly. When you receive the call, answer the call and press the number 1
on your keypad when prompted. This completes the account activation process.
If you do not receive the telephone call within 10 minutes, please call the
MyGovernmentOnline support line at 1-866-957-3764, option 2 for assistance. Please have
your e-mail address and the telephone number used to create your account ready.

*This completes the account creation process and you are now ready to login.

Apply for a Permit

You may apply for your permit online if your jurisdiction offers this feature. When applying for the permit you will be able to also upload plans and other documents in PDF format if documents and drawings are required for your project.

1. Once you are logged in, go to the “Permits and Licensing” button in the top left area of the screen and then click on Apply Online.

2. In order, select the State, Jurisdiction, and Project Type as shown below and then click next. If you do not see the jurisdiction in which you desire to submit an application to after selecting the state, then the jurisdiction does not yet offer the “Apply Online” feature at this time.

3. Select “Get Started on a New Application” to begin the application process. You should only use the “Add a Permit to an Existing Account” option if you are applying for an Electrical, Mechanical or Plumbing permit that will be added on to an already issued building permit.

4. Enter the physical address of the project and then click next.

5. The Applicant contact information will automatically pre-fill from the user account information of your log-in account. You may select how you wished to receive automatic notifications during the project. Please note that e-mail notifications are more convenient and can be referred back to at any time since the notifications arrive in your e-mail inbox. It is strongly encouraged that you opt in for e-mail notifications. Missed telephone calls can cause you to miss some of your notifications during the project. To opt in for any notification method type, please click the check box next to the preferred method in which you would like to be notified. Click next to proceed.

6. Now enter the Property Owner’s contact information and then click next.

7. Click the “Click Here” button to enter the Contractor’s Information.

Proceed to enter the Contractor’s contact information and then click next.

8. Select the Application Type desired from the drop down list. This represents the type of permit you are applying for.

9. Select the Applicable Fee that corresponds with the permit you are applying for. You must go in order by selecting the Category first, next select the Type, then select the Calculation and then click the Add button. Sometimes a variable will be required to calculate the fee. If a variable is required, an additional box will display for you to enter it. If you add a fee in error, you may click the Remove button and then select the correct fee by following the steps again.

*Note: There is an option to select “I do not know which fee to use” in the event you are simply unaware which fee to select. The jurisdiction will be able to select the appropriate fee for you if this is the case.

10. Answer all questions in the Application Questionnaire. This is information required to process your application. Please make the absolute best effort to answer all questions accurately. If you do not know the answer to a question or if it is not applicable to your project, please enter “Not Known” or Not Applicable” so that you may proceed with submitting your application. Once you have completed all questions, click next to proceed.

11. You may upload any files required with your application. Files uploaded must be in PDF format. Some types of files that may be required include a Site Plan, Survey, Building Drawings, Foundation Certification Letter, etc. To upload documents, click on the Upload Files button. Search for the files on your computer. Select the file and then click Open. Allow the file time to upload. You may repeat this process to upload multiple files. Once you have uploaded all files click the Next button to proceed.

12. Click the Submit button only once to submit your application to the jurisdiction for review.

You will receive a confirmation message and an application number. The jurisdiction will receive your application and begin processing the application. Once the jurisdiction accepts the application, you will be able to pay the permit fees. Please be patient. Someone from the jurisdiction will contact you to proceed or if they need additional information.