View Your Permits

The MyPermits section allows you to view your personal list of permits whether the permit has been issued or is still pending. Here are the steps to view the MyPermits list.
1. Login with your user account by clicking the Login link located at the top right area of the website.

2. Enter your FULL e-mail address and then the password to your account in the window that appears

3.Click on the “Account” button in the top right section of the webpage. This will take you to your My Account dashboard.

4. Scroll down the page until you see the section called “My Permits” as shown below. This is the section that contains all of the permits that have been added to your account. From this section you are able to view the project details, completed inspection reports, view plan review documents, and upload documents to a project by clicking the “View Permit” button on the left. You may also request an inspection by clicking “Request” on the right side of the screen.

*If you do not see a particular project in your My Permits list, please proceed to the instructions on
the next page which will show you how to add a permit to your My Permits list.

Add a Permit

If you would like to add a project to your My Permits list, please follow these simple steps.

1. Once you are logged into the portal, click on the button at the top left side of the screen that says Permits and Licensing.

2. Select the appropriate state your project is located in first. Then select the Jurisdiction that is authorizing the permit. Enter the Project Number (This is the same number as the permit number) OR you may search for the permit by the address Street Number and Street Name. Please do not try to search using both the Project Number and the Address. Note: If you choose to search by address, you must enter the Street Number ONLY in the Street Number field and then enter the Street Name ONLY in the Street Name field. Then click the Search button.

3. The search result will show up at the lower part of the page. Ensure you have located the correct project and then click the “Add to My Account” button on the right side of the screen in the search result.

4. A window will open as shown below. You may enter a project alias (special name) if you want to personally name your project but this is not required. Click the button that says “Add Project to My Account”. Note: If you receive a message stating that you cannot add the project to your account, please call technical support for assistance at 1-866-957-3764, option 2.

5. You will see a new window confirming the permit is added to your account. The project is now in your “My Permits” list. Click “View Project Details” to view the project.

*Remember that you may click on the button at the top right area of the webpage at any time to
return to your My Account Dashboard page to view your entire “My Permits” list.

Request an Inspection

1. Once you are logged in, click on the “Account” button at the top right area of the webpage.

2. Scroll down to the “My Permits” section and click on the “Request” button associated with the project you desire.

3. Begin by selecting the inspection type you wish to have performed from the drop down list.

4. Select the date you wish to have the inspection performed by clicking on the calendar icon and then clicking on the date within the calendar displayed. Please note that based on work load, weather and other factors, it is possible that the jurisdiction may not be able to perform the inspection on the date requested. The jurisdiction will contact you in the event they are unable to perform the inspection on the date requested.

5. Enter a note to the jurisdiction if desired. For example, you may want to provide a gate code, lock box, or any other information helpful to the inspector that will arrive at your job site. Notes are not required however.

6. Click the “Add” button to add the inspection request to the queue. You may repeat steps 3 – 6 to add another inspection type to the list. IMPORTANT: Once you have added the inspections you desire you must click the “Submit Request(s) to Jurisdiction” button to complete the process.

7. You will receive a confirmation message as shown below which confirms that your request has been submitted. You are now finished with requesting your inspection.

Paying Your Fees Online

Once your jurisdiction has received your application, fees will be added to the project for payment. You may pay the fees online if the jurisdiction offers the online payment service. The jurisdiction will notify you via e-mail when you are able to go online to pay the fees. Here are the steps you should follow to pay the fee online.

1. Once you are logged in, click on the “Account” button at the top right area of the webpage.

2. Scroll down to the “My Permits” section and click on the “View Permit” link associated with the project you desire.

3. When the project opens, click on the “Payments” tab shown below. This will take you to the page listing the fees applicable to the project. It is also the page that allows you to pay fees online.

4. Scroll to the bottom of the Payments page where you will see a section labeled “New Payment”. You will see the amount due in the Amount box. If you believe the fee is incorrect, please call the City/Jurisdiction assessing the fee so that they may correct the fee before processing the payment online. Otherwise, click the Pay Online button. This will take you to the credit card payment processor page.

5. On the credit card processor page, simply provide the information required in the fields listed and then click the button required to process your payment online. You will have the option to print a receipt once the payment is processed. The jurisdiction will contact you with any additional requirements or e-mail a copy of your permit once the payment is received.

Certificate of Occupancy

All businesses in the City of Georgetown require a valid Certificate of Occupancy Permit  prior to occupying the business space or opening to the general public. This applies to all stand-alone buildings as well as leasable tenant space in multi-tenant buildings. In addition, a Certificate of Occupancy is not transferable. Anytime the business owner, business address or business name changes, a new Certificate of Occupancy is required.

If any construction is planned such as demolishing, adding or moving walls, window or doors a building permit will be required.

If adding or moving and  electric, plumbing,  or HVAC a building permit will be required.

If a change of use is planned, a building permit will be required. For example, if the previous use of the space was an office and the new use of the space will be for a restaurant then building permits will be required before a certificate of occupancy can be applied for.

Please contact our office for more information regarding building permits by emailing  or click here.

Certificate of Occupancy Permit Process:

  • Complete the Certificate of Occupancy and submit it online at
  • Pay permit fee of $136.00 when you receive notification from
  • Allow up to seven business days for zoning verification review.
  • Once Certificate of Occupancy Application is approved, we will send notification via to schedule the required fire and building inspections. If you do not receive notification within seven business days, please email us at with project number and address. Please be advised that water and electric must be on.  If the electric power is not currently on, then you will need a thirty (30) temporary power inspection first, before fire and building inspections can be completed. This is temporary power only and is subject to disconnection if all inspections are not completed.
  • After the Fire and Building Inspections pass,  the Certificate of Occupancy will be uploaded to the project files at and  we will email a copy of the  Certificate of Occupancy.
  • If you fail any of the required inspections, you have ten days to correct items and reschedule your inspection. If inspections are not resolved, power and /or water may be disconnected.

For New Commercial Construction (Ground Up/ Shell Buildings),Commercial Remodels, or Additions :

New Commercial Construction Ground Up/Shell Buildings: Click Here

Commercial Remodel or a Tenant Finish Out: Click Here

Directions to apply for New Commercial Construction CO/ Remodel CO/ or Tenant Finish Out CO under an existing Permit Number: Click Here

If you are located in the ETJ and are connected to Georgetown Utilities then you will need a Commercial Service Application .

Residential Certificate of Occupancy:

The City of Georgetown does not issue a Certificate of Occupancy. The building final inspection serves as the Certificate of Occupancy. If you are the permit holder, you may print the building final report from your account.

Fire Hydrant Meter Application:

The purpose of a fire hydrant water meter is to provide water temporarily during ongoing construction projects and when tapping water lines into our main line.

To apply for a fire hydrant, click here to access the connect application.

Completed forms can be submitted to the Customer Care office, located in the Georgetown Municipal Complex at 300 Industrial Avenue, Monday through Friday, 8:00 am to 5:00 pm, or by fax 512-930-3534 or email


If you have any questions regarding Commercial Service Applications, please email

If you have any questions regarding Certificate of Occupancy Applications, please email

Contractor Registration

Who needs to be registered?

The following contractors need to be registered with the City of Georgetown (no cost):

  • General Contractor
  • Plumbing Contractor
  • Electrical Contractor includes master
  • Master Electrician Only
  • Journeyman Electrician
  • Mechanical Contractor
  • Fire Sprinkler, Fire Alarm
  • Sign Contractor
  • Electrical Sign Contractor
  • Journeyman Sign Contractor
  • Building Maintenance Electrician
  • Apprentice Electrician
  • Hood System Installer
  • Swimming Pool Contractor
  • Water Softener Contractor
  • Licensed Irrigator

How to register:

To register with the City of Georgetown, please submit the Contractor Registration Form and upload  a copy of your drivers license and copy of your trade license along with the completed form.

*Once you complete the registration form, you must create a account. See below

How to apply for a permit:

After you complete the contractor registration form and email it to, you must create an account at . This system allows contractors to apply for a permit, request inspections, print, and pay for permits online.

For technical support creating your account, please contact 1-866-957-6734

Is there a fee to register? 


Verify a License required by the State of Texas:

Verify a License required by the State of Texas by visiting TDLR or clicking here

As the homeowner can I pull my own permits?

A Homestead Exemption permit may be issued to non-licensed individuals to perform plumbing, electrical and mechanical work within the dwelling premises that they own and occupy. Before beginning any work, the unlicensed person must first sign an affidavit stating that the applicant owns and occupies the structure and is responsible for conducting the work to code specifications, provide proof of ownership from Williamson County Appraisal District and pay all required permit fees. Homeowner exemptions do not apply to rental or commercial properties.

Homeowners Exempt Certificate