How to Create a New User Account for MyGovernmentOnline.com
*Prior to getting started, we encourage you to download and install the web browser Mozilla Firefox. While
the MyGovernmentOnline software is designed to operate in any web browser, we have found that Mozilla
Firefox is the most secure browser platform when logged on to www.mygovernmentonline.org
1. To get started, go to www.mygovernmentonline.org and click on the Permits and Licensing link
as shown with the red arrow below.
2. Click on the New Account link at the top right of your screen.
3. Fill in the user account login information required to create your new account. A valid E-mail address is required. The password you enter is very important. Please do not forget the e-mail address. Also ensure that you are not typing in capital letters as the password you enter will be case sensitive. The telephone number you enter must be an active working telephone number. The software service will call the telephone number once you have completed the account creation process. You must be able to answer the telephone call in order for your account to become active. Please phrase the Challenge Question in the form of a question such as “What is your mother’s maiden name?” The answer you type should be one word only such as “Smith.”
4. You will receive an “Account Created” confirmation stating that your account has been created.
Click the Close button to close the message. A telephone call to the telephone number you
provided will follow shortly. When you receive the call, answer the call and press the number 1
on your keypad when prompted. This completes the account activation process.
If you do not receive the telephone call within 10 minutes, please call the
MyGovernmentOnline support line at 1-866-957-3764, option 2 for assistance. Please have
your e-mail address and the telephone number used to create your account ready.
*This completes the account creation process and you are now ready to login.
You may apply for your permit online if your jurisdiction offers this feature. When applying for the permit you will be able to also upload plans and other documents in PDF format if documents and drawings are required for your project.
1. Once you are logged in, go to the “Permits and Licensing” button in the top left area of the screen and then click on Apply Online.
2. In order, select the State, Jurisdiction, and Project Type as shown below and then click next. If you do not see the jurisdiction in which you desire to submit an application to after selecting the state, then the jurisdiction does not yet offer the “Apply Online” feature at this time.
3. Select “Get Started on a New Application” to begin the application process. You should only use the “Add a Permit to an Existing Account” option if you are applying for an Electrical, Mechanical or Plumbing permit that will be added on to an already issued building permit.
4. Enter the physical address of the project and then click next.
5. The Applicant contact information will automatically pre-fill from the user account information of your log-in account. You may select how you wished to receive automatic notifications during the project. Please note that e-mail notifications are more convenient and can be referred back to at any time since the notifications arrive in your e-mail inbox. It is strongly encouraged that you opt in for e-mail notifications. Missed telephone calls can cause you to miss some of your notifications during the project. To opt in for any notification method type, please click the check box next to the preferred method in which you would like to be notified. Click next to proceed.
6. Now enter the Property Owner’s contact information and then click next.
7. Click the “Click Here” button to enter the Contractor’s Information.
Proceed to enter the Contractor’s contact information and then click next.
8. Select the Application Type desired from the drop down list. This represents the type of permit you are applying for.
9. Select the Applicable Fee that corresponds with the permit you are applying for. You must go in order by selecting the Category first, next select the Type, then select the Calculation and then click the Add button. Sometimes a variable will be required to calculate the fee. If a variable is required, an additional box will display for you to enter it. If you add a fee in error, you may click the Remove button and then select the correct fee by following the steps again.
*Note: There is an option to select “I do not know which fee to use” in the event you are simply unaware which fee to select. The jurisdiction will be able to select the appropriate fee for you if this is the case.
10. Answer all questions in the Application Questionnaire. This is information required to process your application. Please make the absolute best effort to answer all questions accurately. If you do not know the answer to a question or if it is not applicable to your project, please enter “Not Known” or Not Applicable” so that you may proceed with submitting your application. Once you have completed all questions, click next to proceed.
11. You may upload any files required with your application. Files uploaded must be in PDF format. Some types of files that may be required include a Site Plan, Survey, Building Drawings, Foundation Certification Letter, etc. To upload documents, click on the Upload Files button. Search for the files on your computer. Select the file and then click Open. Allow the file time to upload. You may repeat this process to upload multiple files. Once you have uploaded all files click the Next button to proceed.
12. Click the Submit button only once to submit your application to the jurisdiction for review.
You will receive a confirmation message and an application number. The jurisdiction will receive your application and begin processing the application. Once the jurisdiction accepts the application, you will be able to pay the permit fees. Please be patient. Someone from the jurisdiction will contact you to proceed or if they need additional information.
The MyPermits section allows you to view your personal list of permits whether the permit has been issued or is still pending. Here are the steps to view the MyPermits list.
1. Login with your user account by clicking the Login link located at the top right area of the website.
2. Enter your FULL e-mail address and then the password to your account in the window that appears
3.Click on the “Account” button in the top right section of the webpage. This will take you to your My Account dashboard.
4. Scroll down the page until you see the section called “My Permits” as shown below. This is the section that contains all of the permits that have been added to your account. From this section you are able to view the project details, completed inspection reports, view plan review documents, and upload documents to a project by clicking the “View Permit” button on the left. You may also request an inspection by clicking “Request” on the right side of the screen.
*If you do not see a particular project in your My Permits list, please proceed to the instructions on
the next page which will show you how to add a permit to your My Permits list.
If you would like to add a project to your My Permits list, please follow these simple steps.
1. Once you are logged into the portal, click on the button at the top left side of the screen that says Permits and Licensing.
2. Select the appropriate state your project is located in first. Then select the Jurisdiction that is authorizing the permit. Enter the Project Number (This is the same number as the permit number) OR you may search for the permit by the address Street Number and Street Name. Please do not try to search using both the Project Number and the Address. Note: If you choose to search by address, you must enter the Street Number ONLY in the Street Number field and then enter the Street Name ONLY in the Street Name field. Then click the Search button.
3. The search result will show up at the lower part of the page. Ensure you have located the correct project and then click the “Add to My Account” button on the right side of the screen in the search result.
4. A window will open as shown below. You may enter a project alias (special name) if you want to personally name your project but this is not required. Click the button that says “Add Project to My Account”. Note: If you receive a message stating that you cannot add the project to your account, please call technical support for assistance at 1-866-957-3764, option 2.
5. You will see a new window confirming the permit is added to your account. The project is now in your “My Permits” list. Click “View Project Details” to view the project.
*Remember that you may click on the button at the top right area of the webpage at any time to
return to your My Account Dashboard page to view your entire “My Permits” list.
1. Once you are logged in, click on the “Account” button at the top right area of the webpage.
2. Scroll down to the “My Permits” section and click on the “Request” button associated with the project you desire.
3. Begin by selecting the inspection type you wish to have performed from the drop down list.
4. Select the date you wish to have the inspection performed by clicking on the calendar icon and then clicking on the date within the calendar displayed. Please note that based on work load, weather and other factors, it is possible that the jurisdiction may not be able to perform the inspection on the date requested. The jurisdiction will contact you in the event they are unable to perform the inspection on the date requested.
5. Enter a note to the jurisdiction if desired. For example, you may want to provide a gate code, lock box, or any other information helpful to the inspector that will arrive at your job site. Notes are not required however.
6. Click the “Add” button to add the inspection request to the queue. You may repeat steps 3 – 6 to add another inspection type to the list. IMPORTANT: Once you have added the inspections you desire you must click the “Submit Request(s) to Jurisdiction” button to complete the process.
7. You will receive a confirmation message as shown below which confirms that your request has been submitted. You are now finished with requesting your inspection.
Once your jurisdiction has received your application, fees will be added to the project for payment. You may pay the fees online if the jurisdiction offers the online payment service. The jurisdiction will notify you via e-mail when you are able to go online to pay the fees. Here are the steps you should follow to pay the fee online.
1. Once you are logged in, click on the “Account” button at the top right area of the webpage.
2. Scroll down to the “My Permits” section and click on the “View Permit” link associated with the project you desire.
3. When the project opens, click on the “Payments” tab shown below. This will take you to the page listing the fees applicable to the project. It is also the page that allows you to pay fees online.
4. Scroll to the bottom of the Payments page where you will see a section labeled “New Payment”. You will see the amount due in the Amount box. If you believe the fee is incorrect, please call the City/Jurisdiction assessing the fee so that they may correct the fee before processing the payment online. Otherwise, click the Pay Online button. This will take you to the credit card payment processor page.
5. On the credit card processor page, simply provide the information required in the fields listed and then click the button required to process your payment online. You will have the option to print a receipt once the payment is processed. The jurisdiction will contact you with any additional requirements or e-mail a copy of your permit once the payment is received.
Who needs to be registered?
The following contractors need to be registered with the City of Georgetown (no cost):
- General Contractor
- Plumbing Contractor
- Electrical Contractor includes master
- Master Electrician Only
- Journeyman Electrician
- Mechanical Contractor
- Fire Sprinkler, Fire Alarm
- Sign Contractor
- Electrical Sign Contractor
- Journeyman Sign Contractor
- Building Maintenance Electrician
- Apprentice Electrician
- Hood System Installer
- Swimming Pool Contractor
- Water Softener Contractor
- Licensed Irrigator
How to register:
To register with the City of Georgetown, please submit the Contractor Registration Form and upload a copy of your drivers license and copy of your trade license along with the completed form.
*Once you complete the registration form, you must create a www.mygovernment.org account. See below
How to apply for a permit:
After you complete the contractor registration form and email it to email@example.com, you must create an account at www.mygovernmentonline.org . This system allows contractors to apply for a permit, request inspections, print, and pay for permits online.
For technical support creating your account, please contact 1-866-957-6734
Is there a fee to register?
Verify a License required by the State of Texas:
Verify a License required by the State of Texas by visiting TDLR or clicking here
As the homeowner can I pull my own permits?
A Homestead Exemption permit may be issued to non-licensed individuals to perform plumbing, electrical and mechanical work within the dwelling premises that they own and occupy. Before beginning any work, the unlicensed person must first sign an affidavit stating that the applicant owns and occupies the structure and is responsible for conducting the work to code specifications, provide proof of ownership from Williamson County Appraisal District and pay all required permit fees. Homeowner exemptions do not apply to rental or commercial properties.