Certificate of Occupancy


All businesses in the City of Georgetown require a valid Certificate of Occupancy Permit  prior to occupying the business space or opening to the general public.  All businesses in the ETJ may require a fire permit. This applies to all stand-alone buildings as well as leasable tenant space in multi-tenant buildings. In addition, a Certificate of Occupancy is not transferable. Anytime the business owner, business address or business name changes, a new Certificate of Occupancy is required.

If any construction is planned such as demolishing, adding or moving walls, window or doors a building permit will be required.

If adding or moving and  electric, plumbing,  or HVAC a building permit will be required.

If a change of use is planned, a building permit will be required. For example, if the previous use of the space was an office and the new use of the space will be for a restaurant then building permits will be required before a certificate of occupancy can be applied for.

Please contact our office for more information regarding building permits by emailing permits@georgetown.org  or click here.

For fire permits please visit: https://fire.georgetown.org/fire-life-safety/

Certificate of Occupancy Permit Process for New Tenant or Change of Ownership - No Construction:

Complete the Certificate of Occupancy and submit it online at  www.mgoconnect.org . Pay permit fees when you receive notification from no-reply@scpdc.org the application has been accepted for review.

Allow ten business days for zoning verification review, fire review and building review.

Once Certificate of Occupancy Application is approved, we will send notification via mygovernmentonline.org for the applicant to schedule the two required fire and building inspections*. If you do not receive notification after ten business days, please email us at permits@georgetown.org with project number and address.

*Please be advised that water and electric must be on.  If the electric power is not on when the application for the Certificate of Occupancy is accepted/approved, then you will need a thirty (30) temporary power inspection first, and power restored before the two required fire and building inspections can be requested and completed.  You will need to upload a copy of the Temporary Inspection Passed report to your Utility Billing Account (Customer Care)  you created as css.georgetown.org . Temporary power is subject to disconnection if the required fire and building inspections are not completed and passed within thirty days. Temporary Power does not authorize the business to open to the public. Also note, there will be an additional inspection fee for the temporary power inspection. 

After the Fire and Building Inspections pass,  the Certificate of Occupancy will be uploaded to the project files at  www.mgoconnect.org and we will email a copy of the  Certificate of Occupancy. Once you receive the Certificate of Occupancy, you must upload a copy of the issued Certificate of Occupancy to the Utility Billing Account you created at css.georgetown.org within thirty (30) days.

If you fail any of the required inspections, the applicant is responsible for correcting the failed items and reschedule the failed inspections online at www.mgoconnect.org. If inspections are not resolved, power and /or water will be disconnected at thirty days.

Once the Certificate of Occupancy is issued, and the applicant must upload a copy of the issued Certificate of Occupancy at css.georgetown.org, then the  business may open to the public.

Commercial in the ETJ:

If the business is located in the ETJ and connected to Georgetown Utilities, then you will need a Commercial Service Application. Fire Permits do apply for commercial properties/projects in the ETJ and are required.  If the City of Georgetown is the water, wastewater, and/or electric provider within the ETJ, permits may apply as well if any plumbing and/or electric work is being completed.

Please click here for fire permitting information and contacts.

If you have questions regarding plumbing/electrical permits in the ETJ, please email permits@georgetown.org with the address and any questions related to commercial projects in the ETJ with plumbing or electric

Stormwater permits may apply for any site construction in the ETJ. Please click here or contact: engineering@georgetown.org

Residential Certificate of Occupancy:

The City of Georgetown does not issue a Certificate of Occupancy. The building final inspection serves as the Certificate of Occupancy. If you are the permit holder, you may print the building final report from your  www.mgoconnect.org account.

Fire Hydrant Meter Application

The purpose of a fire hydrant water meter is to provide water temporarily during ongoing construction projects and when tapping water lines into our main line.

To apply for a fire hydrant, click here

Contact Customer Care for any questions regarding a fire hydrant meter at: customercare@georgetown.org.


Form Questions: 

If you have any questions regarding Commercial Service Applications or questions regarding css.georgetown.org,  please email customercare@georgetown.org

If you have any questions regarding Certificate of Occupancy Application, please email permits@georgetown.org

Quick Links:

Fire Marshal Office and Fire Permit Requirements for Businesses in ETJ 

Directions for www.mgoconnect.org to create an account, complete an application, request inspections, print inspection reports, and copies of permits issued. 

Directions for creating a Utility Billing Account and uploading a copy of temporary power inspection report or a copy of an issued certificate of occupancy at css.georgetown.org 

Fee Schedule

City of Georgetown Interactive Maps 

Print Friendly, PDF & Email