Temporary Use Permit

A Temporary Use is a unique short-term use that will be discontinued after a specified time. Such uses include, but are not limited to, special events, construction buildings, seasonal businesses (such as Christmas Tree Lots), etc. Prior to the establishment of a temporary use within the City Limits, a Temporary Use Permit must be obtained.

The purpose of a Temporary Use Permit, which is an administrative permit issued by the City’s Building Official, is to ensure compatibility of the temporary use with surrounding properties. Areas to be reviewed as part of the permit process include traffic circulation, parking, public conveniences, signs and any other special operating characteristics. This permit will specify the use, establish a period of time for which the use is approved, and any special conditions attached to the approval.

For more information on Temporary Use Permits, visit UDC Section 5.08



Create an account at  www.mgoconnect.org

Apply online at www.mgoconnect.org  for a Temporary Use Permit.

Items to include with application:

  • Complete Temporary Use Permit Application
  • Site Plan Indicating Location of Temporary Use
  • Letter from property owner granting permission
  • Indicate if water, wastewater, and or electric is needed.
  • Show require backflow device if required

After Temporary Use Permit is accepted for review, Inspection Services will send notification to pay application fee of $110.00. Please allow up to 14 business days for review.

Applications must be submitted online at www.mygovernmentonline.org .

Other information:

Door to Door Sales/ Solicitors Permit

Unified Development Code Section 3.11 Temporary Use 

Special Event Permitting Information

For questions regarding the Temporary Use Application, please email permits@georgetown.org

Irrigation Systems

An Irrigation Permit is required before you install any lawn irrigation system which you permanently connect to the City’s water supply.

A lawn sprinkler permit is not required when making repairs to the piping of an existing lawn irrigation system unless the back-flow prevention device is being replaced.

After the system has been installed and completed. A state certified back flow prevention tester must test the back flow device and a cross connection test report  must be completed at www.vepollc.com . The backflow report  must be completed at www. vepollc.com within 72 hours of test completion and the inspection to notify the city the back flow test report was completed must be requested via www.mgoconnect.org

Click here for Backflow Prevention Testing Info

Where to apply:

Apply online at  www.mgoconnect.org  for a lawn sprinkler permit, select  irrigation application  and upload the irrigation plan that is sealed/stamped /signed by a Licensed Irrigator and as built plans if the irrigation system includes a new water service/water meter.

Water Meter Needed: Additional requirements may required if installing a new water tap.

Fee Schedule: Click here for fee schedule 

Contractors: All contractor must be registered. Click here to register.  

As a homeowner can pull my own permits?

A Homestead Exemption permit may be issued to non-licensed individuals to perform plumbing, electrical and mechanical work within the dwelling premises that they own and occupy. Before beginning any work, the unlicensed person must first sign an affidavit stating that the applicant owns and occupies the structure and is responsible for conducting the work to code specifications, provide proof of ownership from Williamson County Appraisal District and pay all required permit fees. Homeowner exemptions do not apply to rental or commercial properties.

Homeowners Exempt Certificate

TCEQ Landscape Irrigation information: https://www.tceq.texas.gov/drinkingwater/irrigation

For additional questions, please contact  permits@georgetown.org


Trade Permits

Permitting Info:

Apply online at www.mgoconnect.org for the following Trade Permits:

  • Electrical Only*
  • Plumbing Only* **
  • Mechanical Only*

*For any electrical, plumbing, or mechanical trade permits, you must be a registered contractor. If you are the homeowner and plan do to the work yourself, then a Homeowners Exempt Form must be submitted along with your permit application.

**Plumbing, Electrical, and/or Mechanical Permits requested as part of new construction project must be requested under the main permit number for that particular new construction project.  Please contact general contractor for permit number.

Click here for directions to apply for a Trade Permit under a Main Project Permit Number

Once the permit is issued, you will receive notification to pay from no-reply@scpdc.org.

Requesting Inspections:

All inspections must be requested online through your www.mgoconnect.org account by 3:00 PM for next business days in most cases.

Inspections will be conducted Monday – Friday between the hours of 9:00 AM 2:00 PM for the following types of permits (or any inspections that require the homeowner to be present):

  • Water Heater
  • Mechanical Change Out
  • Solar Tubes/Attic Fans
  • Water Softener

For all other questions, please email permits@georgetown.org

Sign Permits & Standards

The City of Georgetown regulates the permitting, design, location, construction, erection, modification, use, maintenance, and removal of signs within the City of Georgetown and its Extra-Territorial Jurisdiction (ETJ). A sign may only be erected, placed, established, painted, created, or maintained in conformance with the requirements of the ordinances.


Apply online atwww.mgoconnect.org for any of the following permits:

Sign Permit Application

Builder way finding signage

Permit Fee:

Sign Permit: See Fee Schedule 

Rules & Regulations:

Chapter 10 Sign Standards of Unified Development Code

Unified Development Code

HARC/ Downtown Overlay / Old Town Overlay:

Historic & Downtown Sign Standards and Information

For questions regarding HARC/Downtown Overlay/ Old Town Overlay signs,  please email:  historic@Georgetown.Org

Plan Review:

The plan review for a permanent sign is fourteen (14) business days from the time your permit application is accepted and payment is made.

The plan review for a Temporary Banner is up to three business days from the time your permit application is accepted.

Once your permit is approved, you will receive notification via email from no-reply@scpdc.org

Sign Violations/Complaints:

For concerns or complaints about a possible sign violation submit a concern/complaint by clicking here

General Sign Questions:

For general sign questions, please email Sign Permits


All inspections must be requested before 3:00p.m. online at www.mygovernmentonline.org for the next business day in most cases. We do not accept inspection request via telephone.

My Government Online:

My Government Online Customer Portal Directions 

My Government Online Tech Support – (866) 957-3764

Certificate of Occupancy


All businesses in the City of Georgetown require a valid Certificate of Occupancy Permit  prior to occupying the business space or opening to the general public.  All businesses in the ETJ may require a fire permit. This applies to all stand-alone buildings as well as leasable tenant space in multi-tenant buildings. In addition, a Certificate of Occupancy is not transferable. Anytime the business owner, business address or business name changes, a new Certificate of Occupancy is required.

If any construction is planned such as demolishing, adding or moving walls, window or doors a building permit will be required.

If adding or moving and  electric, plumbing,  or HVAC a building permit will be required.

If a change of use is planned, a building permit will be required. For example, if the previous use of the space was an office and the new use of the space will be for a restaurant then building permits will be required before a certificate of occupancy can be applied for.

Please contact our office for more information regarding building permits by emailing permits@georgetown.org  or click here.

For fire permits please visit: https://fire.georgetown.org/fire-life-safety/

Certificate of Occupancy Permit Process for New Tenant or Change of Ownership - No Construction:

Complete the Certificate of Occupancy and submit it online at  www.mgoconnect.org . Pay permit fees when you receive notification from no-reply@scpdc.org the application has been accepted for review.

Allow ten business days for zoning verification review, fire review and building review.

Once Certificate of Occupancy Application is approved, we will send notification via mygovernmentonline.org for the applicant to schedule the two required fire and building inspections*. If you do not receive notification after ten business days, please email us at permits@georgetown.org with project number and address.

*Please be advised that water and electric must be on.  If the electric power is not on when the application for the Certificate of Occupancy is accepted/approved, then you will need a thirty (30) temporary power inspection first, and power restored before the two required fire and building inspections can be requested and completed.  You will need to upload a copy of the Temporary Inspection Passed report to your Utility Billing Account (Customer Care)  you created as css.georgetown.org . Temporary power is subject to disconnection if the required fire and building inspections are not completed and passed within thirty days. Temporary Power does not authorize the business to open to the public. Also note, there will be an additional inspection fee for the temporary power inspection. 

After the Fire and Building Inspections pass,  the Certificate of Occupancy will be uploaded to the project files at  www.mgoconnect.org and we will email a copy of the  Certificate of Occupancy. Once you receive the Certificate of Occupancy, you must upload a copy of the issued Certificate of Occupancy to the Utility Billing Account you created at css.georgetown.org within thirty (30) days.

If you fail any of the required inspections, the applicant is responsible for correcting the failed items and reschedule the failed inspections online at www.mgoconnect.org. If inspections are not resolved, power and /or water will be disconnected at thirty days.

Once the Certificate of Occupancy is issued, and the applicant must upload a copy of the issued Certificate of Occupancy at css.georgetown.org, then the  business may open to the public.

Commercial in the ETJ:

If the business is located in the ETJ and connected to Georgetown Utilities, then you will need a Commercial Service Application. Fire Permits do apply for commercial properties/projects in the ETJ and are required.  If the City of Georgetown is the water, wastewater, and/or electric provider within the ETJ, permits may apply as well if any plumbing and/or electric work is being completed.

Please click here for fire permitting information and contacts.

If you have questions regarding plumbing/electrical permits in the ETJ, please email permits@georgetown.org with the address and any questions related to commercial projects in the ETJ with plumbing or electric

Stormwater permits may apply for any site construction in the ETJ. Please click here or contact: engineering@georgetown.org

Residential Certificate of Occupancy:

The City of Georgetown does not issue a Certificate of Occupancy. The building final inspection serves as the Certificate of Occupancy. If you are the permit holder, you may print the building final report from your  www.mgoconnect.org account.

Fire Hydrant Meter Application

The purpose of a fire hydrant water meter is to provide water temporarily during ongoing construction projects and when tapping water lines into our main line.

To apply for a fire hydrant, click here

Contact Customer Care for any questions regarding a fire hydrant meter at: customercare@georgetown.org.


Form Questions: 

If you have any questions regarding Commercial Service Applications or questions regarding css.georgetown.org,  please email customercare@georgetown.org

If you have any questions regarding Certificate of Occupancy Application, please email permits@georgetown.org

Quick Links:

Fire Marshal Office and Fire Permit Requirements for Businesses in ETJ 

Directions for www.mgoconnect.org to create an account, complete an application, request inspections, print inspection reports, and copies of permits issued. 

Directions for creating a Utility Billing Account and uploading a copy of temporary power inspection report or a copy of an issued certificate of occupancy at css.georgetown.org 

Fee Schedule

City of Georgetown Interactive Maps