Building Inspections

Site Menu  

When Do I Need a Permit?

Print Friendly, PDF & Email

Projects inside the City Limits:

Projects that Require a Permit:Any owner or authorized agent who intends to construct, enlarge, alter, repair, move, demolish or change the occupancy of a building or structure, or to erect, install, enlarge, alter, repair, remove, convert or replace any electrical, gas, mechanical, or plumbing system requires a permit.

A permit is required for:

  • Alarm – click here
  • Additions
  • Attic Fan
  • Banner
  • Carport
  • Certificate of Occupancy
  • Deck
  • Demolitions
  • Driveway
  • Driveway Cut
  • Electrical Systems
  • Fence
  • Fireplace
  • Foundation Repair
  • Generator
  • Hot Tub
  • HVAC Systems
  • Irrigation System
  • Mobile Home
  • New Buildings
  • Parking lot
  • Patio
  • Patio cover, including Pergola
  • Photovoltaic
  • Plumbing Systems
  • Prefabricated Structures
  • Remodel
  • Re-roof
  • Right of Way – Click Here
  • Signs (temp& perm)
  • Solar Tube
  • Special Event
  • Storage Building
  • Sun Room
  • Swimming Pool
  • Temporary Building
  • Temporary Use
  • Tenant Finish Out
  • Utility Connection
  • Water Heater
  • Water Softener

Projects within the ETJ (Extra Territorial Jurisdiction)

If the project address is located within the ETJ and the City of Georgetown is the Utility Provider for water, waste water, and/or electric provider, then permits will apply for the following:

  •  Additions with Plumbing and/or Electric (Residential or Commercial)
  • New Commercial Construction
  • New Residential Construction
  • Plumbing Systems
  • Electrical Systems (applies only if GUS aka Georgeotwn Utility Systems is the provider)
  • Remodels with Plumbing and/ or Electric (Residential or Commercial)
  • Swimming Pools with auto fill (Plumbing Permit Only)
  • Utility Connections – Water Only
  • Water Heater Replacement
  • Water Softener
  • Well to Water
  • Mobile Home connecting to City of Georgetown Water

*Commercial Projects outside of the City Limits within Fire District No 8 will need to contact Georgetown Fire for additional permits that may be required

Projects located outside of the City Limits and outside the ETJ (County)

If the project is located outside the City Limits of Georgetown and ETJ (County) and the City of Georgetown is the Water Provider, the following will apply:

*Commercial Projects outside of the City Limits within Fire District No 8 will need to contact Georgetown Fire for additional permits that may be required

Adopted Building Codes

Adopted Codes: 2012 International Building Code, 2012 International Mechanical Code, 2012 International Plumbing Code, 2012 International Fire Code with Amendments, 2012 Fuel Gas Code, 2012 Property Maintenance Code, 2014 National Electrical Code with Amendments. 2015 International Energy Code, 2012 International Residential Building Code, City of Georgetown Unified Development Code, and City of Georgetown Code of  Ordinances

Don’t see it listed? Contact us by clicking here

Submitting Permit Applications

Click here for directions on how to submit an application

Interactive Maps

The City of Georgetown’s interactive maps allow the exploration of the City’s collection of geographic data through interactive map viewers. They are easy to use and provide a wealth of information such as finding out if an address is inside the city limits.

Click here to go to interactive maps