- Apply online at www.mygovernmentonline.org.
- Select Water Heater in drop down box when applying.
- Pay Permit Fee of $41.00.
- Application submittal process is complete, project # is assigned.
- Notification of approval will be sent via e-mail from firstname.lastname@example.org .
- Request required inspections – All inspections must be requested at www.mygovernmentonline.org by 3:00pm for the next business day.
- Location Access and Working Space: Shall be installed in accordance with Section M1305 and shall be located and connected to provide access for observation, maintenance, servicing and replacement. Working space: 30 inches x 30 inches.
- 18 inch stand: Required when water heater is installed in a garage. Water heaters listed as flammable vapor resistant and for installation without elevation and electric water heaters are not required to be elevated in the garage.
- Corrosion Resistance: Pan Required for installation above 1st floor. Corrosive resistant ¾ inch drain line required to discharge at a visible location: exterior above grade, floor sink, mop sink. T&P line may NOT drain to Pan.
- Shutoff Valve: A shutoff valve is required on the cold water supply and is readily accessible. Dielectric unions not required for hot and cold lines.
- Pipe Insulation: Pipe insulation is required on first 5 feet of hot and cold water pipe and to within 6 inches of draft hood.
- Temperature & Pressure (T&P) Relief: A temperature and pressure relief valve is required. ¾ inch minimum drain line must run with fall to approved locations: Exterior of building and located between 6 and 24 inches above finished grade, floor sink, or mop sink.
- Combustion Air (Gas Water Heaters Only): Where located in a confined space (less than 50 cubic feet of area for each 1000 BTU input rating of water heater) a high and low combustion air opening must be provided within 12 inches of the top and bottom of the enclosure.
- Vent (Gas Water Heaters Only – Ref. footnote for G2428.2.3 of IRC): A double wall (type B) vent must be provided with a min. 1 inch to combustibles. Min. 5 feet vertical required between vent collar and vent cap. Vent may have offsets of up to 45 degrees and one offset of up to 60 degrees. Vent must terminate in a listed vent cap. Vent stack minimum 5 feet.
- Vent Connector (Gas Water Heaters Only): Single wall vent connector allowed to connect water heater to its vent. Vent connector must be exposed and cannot run into or through concealed construction. Minimum 6 inch clearance to combustibles. Min. pitch ¼ inch per foot.
- Gas Connector (Gas Water Heaters Only): Accessible and approved valve with maximum 3 feet of flex connector. Connector and valve must not be concealed.
- Tank-less Water Heaters: Follow manufacturer installation instructions & comply with Int’l Fuel Gas Code for gas line size & vent. A gas load calculation shall be provided on the jobsite when calling the first inspection
Approved permits are valid for six (6) months from date of issuance. If no inspection activity has taken place within the six (6) months, application and renewal fees for resubmittal is required. In order to close permit, all inspections must be completed. Permits are not required to be posted at project address. Inspector must have access to property at time of requested inspection. If no access, re-inspection fee may apply.