Generator Permit

A Generator Permit is required for the installation of a generator. Please review the information regarding the  permitting and inspection process to install a residential standby generator. Included are the required permits, items that must be available to city field inspectors at the construction site, and the items that the city inspectors will be verifying in the field during the inspection process.


It is important for everyone proposing to install a generator within the city limits of Georgetown to review the regulations associated with Code of Ordinances which regulates noise and sound levels. An approval to install a standby generator does NOT serve as an exemption from the noise and sound level regulations addressed by Code of Ordinances. Please review and understand all noise and sound level regulations and associated limitations and address appropriately.

Permit Requirements:

  • Generator Permit*
  • Electrical Permit**
  • Plumbing Permit

*Once generator permit is issued, electrical and plumbing trades will permit under main generator permit.

**If installation of a generator requires a service rebuild, an additional electric permit for a service rebuild will be required. There will be two electric permits under the main permit. One for the service rebuild and one for generator.

Submittal Requirements: All permits are required to be submitted online at

  • The manufacturer’s installation manual
  • Official Survey of Property indicating the location of proposed on-site generator, dimensions of the generator or generator housing, location, and orientation of equipment in relation to the existing gas meter, and any other equipment such as condensing units, pool equipment, or other equipment that requires access for maintenance. Distance from property lines.
  • Electrical plan providing one-line electrical drawings, load analysis, generator and transfer equipment specs, and tank component and specs.
  • Gas Piping Riser Diagram
  • Clearly indicate if gas or electric lines will be underground
  • Clearly indicate if a service rebuild will be required

Inspections Check List:

The following inspections are required to be requested and items from the approved plans will be verified by the inspectors. If there is a service rebuild needed, additional inspections will apply such as service disconnect inspection (request to disconnect power) and permanent power inspection. These two inspections will be required to be requested at the same time for the same day 48 hrs in advance. If there is no service rebuild needed, then those inspection do not apply.

  • Power Disconnect
      • Request to disconnect power 48 hours in advance along with the request for Power Reconnect/Perm Power. This inspection must be requested at the same time at the reconnect power 48 hrs in advance.
  • Power Reconnect/Permanent Power
      • Request to reconnect power after service rebuild is complete. This inspection must be requested at the same time at the disconnect power 48 hours in advance.
  • Generator Gas Underground
      • Underground gas piping required to have an inspection prior to backfilling.
      • Underground gas piping shall have a minimum depth of 12 inches (IRC G2415.12)
  • Generator Electric Underground
      • Underground Electric Prior to backfilling – Verify Conduit, depth, warning tape (applicable to underground electrical systems)
      • Underground Electric Conduit must be a minimum of 18 inches ( IRC E3803)
  • Generator Plumbing Inspection
      • Gas piping shall be painted/or coated with corrosion-resistant protection. (IRC 2414.7)
      • Plastic underground gas piping must have a tracer wire in trench which terminates above grade at each end. (IRC 2415.17.3
      • Gas line, piping, and regulators must be adequately secured, protected, and supported per (IRC 2415.9)- (IRC Table G2424.1)
      • Required appliance flex connector must be per manufactures specifications (straight or nearly straight) (IRC 2406.1)
      • Test at 1 ½ x operating pressure or 10 PSI test on 15 lb. gauge
  • Generator Electrical Inspection
      • Above ground conduit (applicable to above ground conduit systems)  (IRC 3802)
      • Site Inspection minimum dimension from the generator or generator housing (when provided) to
      • Setback to lot lines or property lines
      • Combustible exterior building walls per Manufacture Specs
      • Openings located in an exterior wall of a building = 5 feet min. Sec. 4.1.4 of NFPA 37
      • Location and orientation of equipment in relation to the existing electrical panel
      • Electrical specifications for the proposed generator
      • Electrical contractor’s load analysis identifying the electrical loads selected, to verify generator and transfer switch is appropriately sized for the designated loads
  • Generator Final Inspection
      • Required clearances for maintenance and service of any equipment located within the general area,
      • Flex fuel lines, regulators, and the BTU rating for sizing the gas service line to the meter,
      • Electrical specifications for the proposed generator
      • Generator must be installed on a concrete pad or approved base that is a minimum of 3” above the surrounding grade. (IRC 1305.1.3.1)
      • Final Setback to lot lines or property lines
      • Properly labeled disconnect means (2017 NEC 230.85,110.21(B) ,445.18)

Example of Current Cost: $70.00 Generator and Tech Fee, $60.00 Plumbing and Tech Fee, $60.00 Electric and Tech Fee. If service rebuild is required, there will be two electric permits required with an additional $60.00

Fee Schedule

For Additional Questions, please email 

How to apply online at aka

Extended Vacancy for Residential

An inspection is required to reconnect electric service to a residential home if the electric has been shut off for six (6) consecutive months or longer.

The inspection is to identify any obvious code violations or other life safety hazards relating to the service being reconnected, and to insure they are addressed and corrected prior to service restoration.

City inspectors shall clear electrical power to a residence when there are no electrical or life safety issues discovered. We recommend that you “pre-inspect” the dwelling to help ensure you pass your reconnect inspection. Unfortunately, a failed inspection shall cause a denial of the release of power. You will be able to get your power turned on after any needed corrections are made and a building inspector has been scheduled for a re-inspection.

Electrical & Life Safety issues include but are not limited to:

  • Improper grounding or bonding of electrical systems
  • Deterioration of electric equipment causing it to be unserviceable
  • Improperly maintained electrical services
  • Hazardous existing wiring
  • New (recent) wiring installed without permits
  • Structural conditions that could deem the building dangerous

If any electrical code violations exist in the residence the owner is required to have them corrected by an electrician licensed by the State of Texas and registered with the City of Georgetown. Permit fees shall apply for any permits needed. Please see current fee schedule for the cost of an extended vacancy inspection.

The residence must be accessible during the hours of 8:30am to 3:00pm on the day of the requested inspection. If the residence cannot be accessible from 8:30am to 3:30pm, we can schedule a specific time frame between the block hours of 9:00am and 11:30am or 1:00pm and 3:00pm. Inspections will be made (under normal circumstances) within forty eight (48) hours after an application is filed, paid, and the inspection request has been made, excluding weekends/ holidays. If the residence is not accessible during the “time-frame” specified, a new inspection must be scheduled with Inspection Services and re-inspection may fees will apply.

All applications for inspections must be submitted online at Please apply online for the extended vacancy inspection with the extended vacancy application

Additional Links:

Current Fee Schedule 

Questions: Email



Impervious Cover FAQ

What is Impervious Cover? 

Per Chapter 16 of the Unified Development Code: Impervious Cover – Any hard-surfaced, man-made area that does not readily absorb or retain water, including, but not limited to, building roofs, parking and driveway areas, pavement, graveled areas, sidewalks, and paved recreation areas. Impervious Cover is subject to the determination of the Development Engineer. Includes and may be referred to as the term “Impervious Surface”.

Why is there Impervious Cover Limitations? 

Per Chapter 11 of the Unified Development Code : Impervious cover limitations are adopted to minimize negative flooding effects from stormwater runoff and to control, minimize, and abate water pollution resulting from urban runoff of rainwater or other non-point specific sources, pursuant to Texas Water Code § 26.177

Is there a variance to Impervious Cover Limitations?

Only in unique circumstances.

Impervious cover limitations may be established when a property is subdivided (Subdivision Plat). In this case, a restriction is added to the Plat detailing the maximum impervious cover for the subdivision and per lot. If your Plat identifies the maximum impervious cover allowed, a variance may not be granted.

If no impervious cover limitation is established by the Plat, a variance may be requested only for non-residential property over 5 acres.

Where can I find more information on Impervious Cover Limitations?

 For more information on Impervious Cover Limitations, please visit Chapter 11 of the Unified Development Code.

What surfaces are approved for driveways, parking, or carports? 

Paved Surface. An area surfaced with single or multiple-course surface treatment, asphalt, concrete, pervious concrete, or grasscrete pavement constructed on a base course or similar all-weather surface. Does not include gravel, grass, stones, decomposed granite, or similar unpaved materials. Also does not include existing concrete strip driveways allowed for residential parking areas called “Approved Surfaces” in Section 10.16.010 of the City Code.

Can I use Pavers? 

To go over the platted impervious cover we can allow permeable pavers to meet both the city code requirements and the TCEQ requirements.

In order to process the request we will need you to provide the following:

  • Provide an Engineered Design Water Quality ( Per TCEQ Rules) RG – 34
  • Your engineer will need to confirm the runoff coefficients of the pavers and how it affects the drainage criteria and assumptions, this will need to be signed and sealed. Any increased drainage will need to be detained for the 2, 10, 25,100 yr storms. This will need to be in a drainage easement. May need to get the runoff coefficient from the manufacturer.
  • There existing TCEQ WPAP will need to be amended or redone to account for the additional BMP(Best Management Practices) (Pavers)
  • TCEQ WPAP will need to be recorded and the city provided with a copy of the recordation Receipt
  • A Maintenance Agreement following the guidelines in TCEQ RG 348 and the manufacturer guidelines will need to be recorded and go with the property
  • A Private Water Quality Easement will need to be recorded and a copy provided to the city
  • Detention Easement (If needed)
  • Potential 3rd party Inspection to test the infiltration rate.
  • Roof Runoff needs to be directed away from the pavers.
  • Letter of Completion submitted to TCEQ after installation by the engineer.

Impervious Cover Worksheet: Impervious Cover Worksheet

 For more information on Impervious Cover Limitations: Please Visit Chapter 11 of the Unified Development Code

What is an official property survey? 

A property survey is a drawn record of the boundaries, orientation and easements associated with a lot of land.

What does an official property survey look like?

Click here for an example of a property survey

Where can I locate a copy of my property survey?

A survey is typically provided when you purchase a home and you should have been given a copy at your closing. Check with your closing documents and see if there is a copy in the paperwork and you already have it. If not contact the title company or your realtor. They should be able to either pull it from their files, or get it from the survey company for you.

Does the City of Georgetown have a copy of my survey? 

The City does not maintain property surveys, but you may be able to get one through the title company, bank, or the survey company.

Does the Williamson County Clerk have a copy of my survey? 

No, the Williamson County Clerk’s office does not have copies of your property survey.

What is a plat?

A plat is the official map of an addition or subdivision, showing the number and dimensions of lots, public rights-of-way, and easements. The plat must be filed with the County Clerk after the City has approved it.

What is the difference between a plat and a property survey?

plat usually shows the dimensions of the property before the improvements are made. A plat will often cover more than one lot or parcel of land. For example, a developer will have a plat of an entire subdivision drawn; A survey usually only shows one lot.

Does the Williamson County Clerk have copies of subdivision plats? 

Yes, the Williamson County Clerk’s office does keep copies of the subdivision plats.

How do I search online for a copy of a subdivision plat? 

Please click here for directions to search for a subdivision plat

Does the Williamson County Appraisal District have a copy of my property survey? 

No, the Williamson County Appraisal District does not have copies of property surveys.



A permit is required any time you want to add to your existing driveway, change or alter the approach. The approach is the portion of the driveway located at the street that crosses the utility easement, usually the first 10 feet of your driveway.

Commercial Driveways:

Commercial Driveway Alterations or Approaches may required a site plan amendment. Please contact: for more info regarding Commercial Driveway Approaches.

Residential Driveways:

Please apply online for a driveway permit at  or with the following information merged into a single PDF file:

  • A plot plan complete with all structures, building lines, and public utility (PUE) and drainage easements (DE) shown
  • An indication on the plot plan of what the proposed changes or additions are
  • A drawing or “detail” of steel reinforcement
  • Click here for the Approach Construction Requirements.

Once the application and all required documentation is accepted, the City Engineer will review the proposed driveway. Please allow up to ten to fifteen business days for review.

Required Inspections:

The following inspections must be performed:

  1. Pre-pour Inspection – This inspection must be done before concrete is poured at the site, to ensure all Approach Construction Requirements are met.
  2. Final Inspection – This inspection verifies that the project has been completed properly.

All driveways must comply with the City of Georgetown Subdivision Regulations with regard to the number and location of curb cuts on various street designations and the location of drives within building setback areas. In some instances driveways may not be allowed as proposed.

Related Links:

Adopted Building Code 

Driveway Approach Standards 

Construction Standards

Impervious Cover Information 

Unified Development Code

Code of Ordinances

Planning Department

Building Permits and Inspections Fee Schedule

Additional information needed specific to your project?

Click here to submit an inquiry specific to your project

General Permitting Questions:

For any questions, please contact



Foundation Repair

Foundation Repair Submittal Requirements:

  • Foundation plans stamped by a engineer.

Foundation Permit Process:

  • Submit application online at aka 
  • Upload stamped foundation plans
  • Pay fee once application is approved and you receive notification to pay
  • Complete foundation repair
  • Request Foundation Repair inspection online before 3:00pm for next business day in most cases
  • Engineers inspection report must be onsite for building inspection

Quick Links:

Adopted Building Codes 


Roof/ReRoofing Permits

A permit is required for a new roof within the City Limits of Georgetown. A  new roof covering shall not be installed without first removing existing roof coverings when any of the following conditions occur:

  • When the existing roof or roof covering is water soaked or deteriorated to the point of being unacceptable as a base for additional roofing
  • When the existing roof covering is wood shake, slate, clay, or cement tile. When the existing roof has two or more layers of any type of roofing
  • In some cases, the roof framing and supporting of loading may need to be examined prior to re-roofing
  • When the roof is completed request a final inspection online at aka

References are located in the 2021 International Residential Building Code Chapter 9 Roof Assemblies

Permitting Process
  1. Contractors must register with the City of Georgetown. Click here to register 
  2. A contractor must create an account at aka
  3. Apply online for a re-roof permit at or . All permit applications must submitted online.
  4. Once the application is accepted and processed, a notification is sent to the applicant to pay online at aka  The permit cost is $60.00
  5. Once the roof is installed, request a roof final inspection online at aka 
Turn Around Time to Process a Re-roof Permit:

The estimated time to process a roofing permit is ten business days due to volume of permit applications being submitted.

List of Active Roofing Contractors

Find a list of registered roofing contractors here: Active Roofing Contractors as of 9.26.2023 directions 
Avoiding Scams

The Texas Department of Insurance has these tips to help residents avoid roofing scams:

  • Get written estimates on company letterhead with clear contact information.
  • Get more than one bid to gauge which ones are too high or too good to be true.
  • Check references and phone numbers.
  • Beware of those who only have out-of-town references or solicit door to door.
  • Don’t pay in full upfront and don’t make a final payment until the job is done.
  • Never sign a contract with blanks on it.
  • Never sign anything before allowing a contractor on your roof to estimate repairs.
  • Do not sign a contract that says, “Homeowner agrees to the listed repairs for the value of the insurance proceeds.” This means that you’ve agreed to give the contractor every penny you get from the insurance company.
  • Make sure to get a list of the types of materials that will be used, and check as work is done to make sure the materials and quality are what you expect.
  • Beware of contractors who offer to waive or absorb the homeowner’s deductible. It is illegal for contractors or roofers to offer to waive a deductible or promise a rebate for all or part of a deductible. Under House Bill 2102 effective Sept. 1, violators could get up to a $2,000 fine and up to six months in jail. If a contractor offers to waive a deductible, report it to the Texas Attorney General’s Consumer Protection Hotline at 800-621-0508.
Additional Information
Frequently Asked Questions
Are ice barriers required?


Is drip edge required?

Yes, per section R905.2.8.5 of 2015 IRC.

Are metal roofs allowed?

As long as they are installed per 2015 IRC ***or 2015 IBC for Commercial

Are Roofing Company Signs allowed to be placed in the yard?

One 2 foot by 2 foot sign is allowed to be placed in the front yard during construction. The sign must be located on private property and out of the Right of Way. A rule of thumb: At least ten feet from the curb. The sign must be removed immediately after construction.

How can I tell if an an address is inside the city limits?

Click here to go to the address checker tool

Can you please tell me what underlayment requirements you are enforcing in roof valleys (i.e. rolled 3-foot wide or ice and water shield material) in Georgetown for re-roofing? Also are you enforcing starter row shingles on eave and rake like drip or just eave?

The City of Georgetown has adopted the 2015 IRC and all installations must be in accordance with the manufacturer’s instructions.  All roof installations must be to the 2015 IRC.

Per Section R905.2.5.2 : Valley linings shall be installed in accordance with the manufactures instructions. See code for the following types permitted.

Per section R905.2.8.5 Drip Edge shall be provided at eaves and rake edge of shingle roofs.

***If your address is in the Old Town Overlay or Downtown Overlay, you may need a Certificate of Appropriateness if you are changing materials.***

How long does it take to get a Re-Roofing Permit?

Due to an influx of re-roofing permit requests, re-roofing permits may take up to seven business days or longer to process.

Does the City require a Solicitor's Permit?

Yes. Solicitors Permits are issued by the Police Department. Please click here to contact the Police Department.

Who is responsible for getting an inspection of permitted work?

The contractor shall coordinate work and inspections and is responsible for fulfilling the requirements of his contractor’s license when involved in any building construction work.

However, the current property owner (and future owner) is ultimately responsible to ensure that the permitting and inspections were completed on his/her property. Even if a permitted project is abandoned by a contractor or the contractor is terminated by the property owner, the property owner remains the responsible party in meeting the requirements of receiving final approval.

What are the requirements for commercial building roof replacements?

Please see 2015 IBC 

City contact information

General Questions: 

Permits under review or Issued Permits:
Please include the permit/project number and the address

Building Inspections:
Email the assigned inspector 
Contact / support or 1-866-957-3764

Additional helpful contact information

Texas Department of Insurance
Fraud Unit: 512-676-6285
Consumer Help Line: 800-252-3439
Texas Attorney General 800-337-3928
Federal Emergency Management Agency 800-621-3362
Red Cross 800-733-2767
Texas Windstorm Insurance Association 800-788-8247
National Flood Insurance Program 800-638-6620
Central Texas Roofing Contractors Association (CTRCA)
Better Business Bureau 

Garage Conversion

You will apply online at  aka (An account will need to be created. Once created, you will receive a call from 1-866-957-3764 to activate the account)

You will select Residential Remodel application and answer all questions. Then you will upload the following requirements in one PDF file:

  • Official survey indicating building lines, placement of structures, flatwork, driveway, public utility easements and drainage easements.
  • Site Plan shall be provided to show the location of the existing house and garage, along with showing where the required off-street new parking stalls are to be located. (Residential homes are required to provide two off street parking stalls behind the set back)
  • Architectural scale drawing of the remodel which shows the following:
  • Floor plan which indicates:
    • Dimensions & identification of all rooms & spaces
    • Location, size and types of all windows & doors
    • Smoke and Carbon Monoxide detectors locations
  • Roof framing plans indicating all beams, rafters, trusses & columns (if applicable)
  • Floor framing plans indicating all joists, beams & columns (if applicable)
  • Floor insulation: If the existing concrete slab serving as the garage floor does not provide adequate insulation for a heated space.
  • Typical exterior & interior wall sections
  • Exterior elevations showing the front, right, left & rear of structure
  • Architectural drawing of any stairs, railings, interior walls, fireplaces, rock walls & retaining walls
  • Electrical riser diagram, load calculations & panel location
  • Plumbing riser diagram, and plumbing fixtures listed
  • HVAC diagram and calculations
  • 2015 International Energy Code Compliance report for attic insulation, wall insulation, windows, and exterior doors. Compliance can be shown by using the REScheck form that is available at
  • A clear distinction between existing construction, alterations to existing, and new work. Separate ‘existing’ and ‘proposed’ within the plans will make the distinction easier to review

Residential Plan Review:

Residential Plan Review is ten (10) to fourteen (14) business days from the time your application is accepted. Once the permit is issued you will receive notification via email from and the amount of the permit.

Additional Permits may be required (Mechanical, Electrical, and Plumbing):

All applicable trades will obtain their permit under the main permit of the project once it has been issued.

*For any electrical, plumbing, or mechanical trade permits, you must be a registered contractor. If you are the homeowner and plan do to the work yourself, then a Homeowners Exempt Form must be submitted along with your permit application.


Inspections are conducted Monday thru Friday 8:00am to 3:30pm.

All inspections must be requested online at  before 3:00pm for next business days in most cases. We do not accept inspection requests via telephone.

Residential Certificate of Occupancy:

The City of Georgetown does not issue a Certificate of Occupancy for residential homes. The building final inspection serves as the Certificate of Occupancy. If you are the permit holder, you may print the building final report from your account.

How to use My Government Online:

For instructions on how to use,  click here

For My Government Online Tech Support – (866) 957-3764

Helpful Links:

Adopted Building Codes

Additional information needed specific to your project?

Click here to submit an inquiry specific to your project

General Permitting Questions:

For any questions, please contact

Temporary Use Permit

A Temporary Use is a unique short-term use that will be discontinued after a specified time. Such uses include, but are not limited to, special events, construction buildings, seasonal businesses (such as Christmas Tree Lots), etc. Prior to the establishment of a temporary use within the City Limits, a Temporary Use Permit must be obtained.

The purpose of a Temporary Use Permit, which is an administrative permit issued by the City’s Building Official, is to ensure compatibility of the temporary use with surrounding properties. Areas to be reviewed as part of the permit process include traffic circulation, parking, public conveniences, signs and any other special operating characteristics. This permit will specify the use, establish a period of time for which the use is approved, and any special conditions attached to the approval.

For more information on Temporary Use Permits, visit UDC Section 5.08



Create an account at aka

Apply online at  aka for a Temporary Use Permit.

Items to include with application:

  • Complete Temporary Use Permit Application
  • Site Plan Indicating Location of Temporary Use
  • Letter from property owner granting permission
  • Indicate if water, wastewater, and or electric is needed.
  • Show require backflow device if required

After Temporary Use Permit is accepted for review, Inspection Services will send notification to pay application fee of $110.00. Please allow up to 14 business days for review.

Applications must be submitted online at .

Other information:

Door to Door Sales/ Solicitors Permit

Unified Development Code Section 3.11 Temporary Use Directions

Special Event Permitting Information

For questions regarding the Temporary Use Application, please email

Water Softener



  1. Water Softener Plumbing Final Inspection – Must have a 1” visible air gap at drain line and Insulated water lines. Vacuum breaker on hose bib.

Approved permits are valid for six (6) months from date of issuance. If no inspection activity has taken place within the six (6) months, application and renewal fees for resubmittal is required. In order to close permit, all inspections must be completed. Permits are not required to be posted at project address. Inspector must have access to property at time of requested inspection. If no access, re-inspection fee may apply

Water Heater

Permit Process:

Required Inspections:

Water Heater Plumbing Final:

  • Location Access and Working Space: Shall be installed in accordance with Section M1305 and shall be located and connected to provide access for observation, maintenance, servicing and replacement. Working space: 30 inches x 30 inches.
  • 18 inch stand: Required when water heater is installed in a garage. Water heaters listed as flammable vapor resistant and for installation without elevation and electric water heaters are not required to be elevated in the garage.
  • Where a storage tank-type heater or a hot water storage tank is installed in a location where the water leakage from the tank will cause damage, the tank shall be installed in a pan constructed of one of the following: Galvanized steel or aluminum of not less than .0236 inch in thickness, plastic not less than .036 inch in thickness, or other approved materials.
  • Corrosion Resistance: Pan Required for installation above 1st floor. Corrosive resistant ¾ inch drain line required to discharge at a visible location: exterior above grade, floor sink, mop sink. T&P line may NOT drain to Pan.
  • Shutoff Valve: A shutoff valve is required on the cold water supply and is readily accessible. Dielectric unions not required for hot and cold lines.
  • Pipe Insulation: Pipe insulation is required on first 5 feet of hot and cold water pipe and to within 6 inches of draft hood.
  • Temperature & Pressure (T&P) Relief: A temperature and pressure relief valve is required. ¾ inch minimum drain line must run with fall to approved locations: Exterior of building and located between 6 and 24 inches above finished grade, floor sink, or mop sink.
  • Combustion Air (Gas Water Heaters Only): Where located in a confined space (less than 50 cubic feet of area for each 1000 BTU input rating of water heater) a high and low combustion air opening must be provided within 12 inches of the top and bottom of the enclosure.
  • Vent (Gas Water Heaters Only – Ref. footnote for G2428.2.3 of IRC): A double wall (type B) vent must be provided with a min. 1 inch to combustibles. Min. 5 feet vertical required between vent collar and vent cap. Vent may have offsets of up to 45 degrees and one offset of up to 60 degrees. Vent must terminate in a listed vent cap. Vent stack minimum 5 feet.
  • Vent Connector (Gas Water Heaters Only): Single wall vent connector allowed to connect water heater to its vent. Vent connector must be exposed and cannot run into or through concealed construction. Minimum 6 inch clearance to combustibles. Min. pitch ¼ inch per foot.
  • Gas Connector (Gas Water Heaters Only): Accessible and approved valve with maximum 3 feet of flex connector. Connector and valve must not be concealed.
  • Tank-less Water Heaters: Follow manufacturer installation instructions & comply with Int’l Fuel Gas Code for gas line size & vent. A gas load calculation shall be provided on the jobsite when calling the first inspection

What is the Current Code for Water Heater Installation?

CLICK HERE to review Chapter 20 of the 2015 International Residential Building Code regarding Water Heaters

Water Heater Sizing:

Water Heater Sizing is typically sized by a Licensed Plumber or Design Professional  (Licensed by the State of Texas)

For general info on sizing, please see manufactures specs of water heater or visit for info regarding water heater sizing.

Click link below to be directed to water heater sizing:

Things to consider when sizing:

  • Size of Home
  • Number of Fixture Units
  • Location of Water Heater

Thermal Expansion Tank Info:

What is a Thermal Expansion Tank?

Thermal Expansion Tank:  A means of controlling increased pressure caused by thermal expansion.

When is a Thermal Expansion Tank required?

Any residential water system considered a closed loop system shall have a Thermal Expansion Tank provided.

What is a closed loop system?

Any water system that has a backflow prevention device, check valve, and/or pressure-reducing valve

Other FAQ:

Do I need a Licensed Plumber to install a Water Heater?

Yes, a State of Texas Licensed Plumber must install the water heater.

Can a handy man install a water heater?

No, only a Licensed Plumber can install a water heater or Homeowner.

As the homeowner can I pull my own permit and install a water heater? 

A Homestead Exemption permit may be issued to non-licensed individuals to perform plumbing, electrical and mechanical work within the dwelling premises that they own and occupy. Before beginning any work, the unlicensed person must first sign an affidavit stating that the applicant owns and occupies the structure and is responsible for conducting the work to code specifications, provide proof of ownership from Williamson County Appraisal District and pay all required permit fees. Homeowner exemptions do not apply to rental or commercial properties.

Homeowners Exempt Certificate

How long is a permit good for?

Approved permits are valid for six (6) months from date of issuance. If no inspection activity has taken place within the six (6) months, application and renewal fees for resubmittal is required. In order to close permit, all inspections must be completed. Permits are not required to be posted at project address. Inspector must have access to property at time of requested inspection. If no access, re-inspection fee may apply.

Quick Links: aka

Adopted Codes