Accessory Building (Storage Building/Garage/Carport)

Per Chapter 6, section 6.06 of the Unified Development Code, a permit is required for an Accessory Building (Storage Building, Garages, & Carports) within the City Limits of Georgetown. The following requirements must be met except as specified:

  • Accessory structures and buildings (Storage Building, Garages, & Carports) shall meet the dimensional standards of the base zoning district, except as specified in this Section of the UDC.
  • The accessory structure shall only be located on a lot with a principal structure, unless two adjacent lots have common ownership, in which case the structures may be located on different lots. In such instance, the accessory structure shall be located in the rear yard as determined by the lot with the principal structure on it.
  • The square footage of an accessory structure shall not exceed 25% of the square footage of the principal structure. For the purposes of this calculation, the square footage of a garage shall not be considered part of the principal structure.
  •  Accessory structures measuring 8 feet or less in height are allowed in the setbacks in the rear yard up to 3) feet from the property line, but may not extend into any P.U.E. Properties in the Old Town Overlay District must follow the procedures outlined in Section 4.09.040, Special Exception for Setback Modification and the approval process pursuant to Section 3.15.
  • Garages and carports, whether attached or detached from the principal structure, shall be set back a minimum of 25 feet from property line street from which the associated driveway takes access or a minimum of 10 feet when taking access from a public alley.
  • No more than 30% of the rear yard may be covered with accessory buildings or structures. All impervious cover requirements in Section 11.02 shall be met.
  • Accessory dwelling units located in accessory structures in the AG, RE, RL, and RS Districts are allowed subject to the limitations provided for in Section 5.02.020.B or within a Housing Diversity Development without limitations (as detailed in Section 6.07.020).
  • Per Code of Ordinances  Sec. 15.03.110. – Section 401.1.2  All foundations shall be designed and constructed in accordance with engineering practices and within the scope of this code. Upon completion of the foundation construction or concrete application an engineer’s certification shall be required for inspection purposes. The certification shall contain no opinions or disclaimers and shall provide that the foundation was inspected and meets the engineered design, live and dead loading, and soil condition per requirements of the 2015 International Residential Building Code.” Exception: This shall not apply to accessory structures less than 200 square feet and are considered as portable on skids.
  • If the address is located in the downtown or old town overlay – a Certificate of Appropriateness may be required.

How to apply for an Accessory Building Permit

Submittal Requirements for Storage Building/Garage/Carport:

  • Completed application online at
  • Official Site Survey indicating the property lines and proposed accessory building location with dimensions. Please include Impervious cover calculations 
  • Foundation Plans –If Accessory building is over 200 sq ft, an Engineered Foundation Plan  must be provided per City Ord# 15.03.110 Sec 401.1.2.
  • Construction drawings to include framing, dimensions, type of foundation, or indicate portable on skids***.

Permit Process:

  • Apply online at
  • Select Accessory Building in drop down box when applying
  • Upload supporting construction documents
  • Application accepted for review
  • Project # is assigned.  Click here for fee schedule 
  • Payment must be made in order to initiate plan review process
  • Allow ten (10) to fifteen (15) business days for review
  • Notification will be sent via e-mail from
  • Pay balance (if applicable)
  • Request required inspections – All inspections must be requested at by 3:00pm for the next business day

Required Inspections:

  • Set Back Inspection-Locate and Expose the Property Iron Pins and install a string line to form an outline of where accessory building is to be constructed/placed on property. If existing property pins cannot be located, the property boundary must be established by measurement from existing benchmarks or by placement of new property marks through a registered survey.**
  • Building Final Inspection – Property Iron Pins shall be left exposed for final inspection.

Please Note:

**The Owner/Contractor is responsible to properly locate the property lines; locate pins on survey, and assuring that the work is completed in compliance with applicable codes and ordinances. ***If a permanent foundation is proposed, pre-pour inspections will apply. ****If electrical or plumbing is part of project, additional permitting and inspections apply.


Common Questions:

Can I place a carport on my existing driveway?

Carport can be placed on existing driveway if it meets the required twenty-five foot (25ft) setback from property line.

Can I place a carport in the yard or on gravel? 

All parking must be on a an approved paved surface. A Paved Surface per Unified Development Code is an area surfaced with single or multiple-course surface treatment, asphalt, concrete, pervious concrete, or grasscrete pavement constructed on a base course or similar all-weather surface. Does not include gravel, grass, stones, decomposed granite, or similar unpaved materials. Also does not include existing concrete strip driveways allowed for residential parking areas called “Approved Surfaces” in Section 10.16.010 of the City Code.

Additional Engineering requirements may apply for pervious concrete, pavers, grasscrete, and other paved surface applications.

My property is in the downtown/old town overlay. Is there any special provisions I must meet? 

Please click here for more info regarding a Certificate of Appropriateness

 What is an official property survey? 

A property survey is a drawn record of the boundaries, orientation and easements associated with a lot of land.

What does an official property survey look like?

Click here for an example of a property survey

Where can I locate a copy of my property survey?

A survey is typically provided when you purchase a home and you should have been given a copy at your closing. Check with your closing documents and see if there is a copy in the paperwork and you already have it. If not contact the title company or your realtor. They should be able to either pull it from their files, or get it from the survey company for you.

Does the City of Georgetown have a copy of my survey?

To determine if the City of Georgetown does have a copy of your property survey, an open records request will have to be completed. The City of Georgetown has adopted the Texas State Library & Archives Commission retention schedule.

Does the Williamson County Clerk have a copy of my survey? 

No, the Williamson County Clerk’s office does not have copies of your property survey.

What is a plat?

A plat is the official map of an addition or subdivision, showing the number and dimensions of lots, public rights-of-way, and easements. The plat must be filed with the County Clerk after the City has approved it.

What is the difference between a plat and a property survey?

plat usually shows the dimensions of the property before the improvements are made. A plat will often cover more than one lot or parcel of land. For example, a developer will have a plat of an entire subdivision drawn; A survey usually only shows one lot.

Does the Williamson County Clerk have copies of subdivision plats? 

Yes, the Williamson County Clerk’s office does keep copies of the subdivision plats.

How do I search online for a copy of a subdivision plat? 

Please click here for directions to search for a subdivision plat

Does the Williamson County Appraisal District have a copy of my property survey? 

No, the Williamson County Appraisal District does not have copies of property surveys.

What is Impervious Cover? 

Per Chapter 16 of the Unified Development Code: Impervious Cover – Any hard-surfaced, man-made area that does not readily absorb or retain water, including, but not limited to, building roofs, parking and driveway areas, pavement, graveled areas, sidewalks, and paved recreation areas. Impervious Cover is subject to the determination of the Development Engineer. Includes and may be referred to as the term “Impervious Surface”.

Why is there Impervious Cover limitations? 

Per Chapter 11 of the Unified Development Code : Impervious cover limitations are adopted to minimize negative flooding effects from stormwater runoff and to control, minimize, and abate water pollution resulting from urban runoff of rainwater or other non-point specific sources, pursuant to Texas Water Code § 26.177

Where can I find more information on Impervious Cover Limitations?

Impervious Cover FAQ   or visit Chapter 11 of the Unified Development Code.

I live in the Old Town Overlay/Downtown Overlay, are there additional requirements?

If you live in the Old Town Overlay/Downtown Overlay a Certificate of Appropriateness may apply. For more info, please click here Instructions

Please click here for instructions to apply online

Additional information needed specific to your project?

Click here to submit an inquiry specific to your project

General Permitting Questions:

For any questions, please contact


Print Friendly, PDF & Email