Electric Permits


Permitting Info:

Apply online at  www.mgoconnect.org  for an electrical permit:

A permit is required to erect, install, enlarge, alter, repair, remove, convert or replace any electrical system.

View current adopted codes and electrical ordinance. 

*For any electrical, plumbing, or mechanical trade permits, you must be a registered contractor.

If you are the homeowner and plan do to the work yourself, then a Homeowners Exempt Form must be submitted along with your permit application.

**Plumbing, Electrical, and/or Mechanical Permits requested as part of new construction project must be requested under the main permit number for that particular new construction project.  Please contact general contractor for permit number.

Once the permit is issued, you will receive notification to pay from no-reply@scpdc.org.

Requesting Inspections:

All inspections must be requested online through your  www.mgoconnect.org account by 3:00 PM for next business days in most cases.

Service Rebuilds Important Information: If the electric  permit is for a service rebuild and requires a service disconnect, you must request two inspections forty eight (48) hours in advance at the same time once the permit is issued. One inspection for the disconnect and the other inspection for the reconnect. If both inspections are not requested at the same time, the reconnect may be delayed until the next business day.

Inspections will be conducted Monday – Friday between the hours of 9:00 AM 2:00 PM for the following types of permits (or any inspections that require the homeowner to be present):

When is an electrical permit required?

  • Replacing a Meter Can
  • Having an electrician doing inside work such as adding a plug, moving a plug.
  • Having an electrician do work on the weather-head
  • Replacing parts of the meter can/riser/pole
  • Replacing a service panel
  • Replacing an electric meter

When is an electric permit not required?

  • Listed cord-and-plug connected temporary decorative lighting.
  • Reinstallation of attachment plug receptacles but not the outlets therefor.
  • Replacement of branch circuit overcurrent devices of the required capacity in the same location.
  • Electrical wiring, devices, appliances, apparatus or equipment operating at less than 25 volts and not capable of supplying more than 50 watts of energy.
  • Minor repair work, including the replacement of lamps or the connection of approved portable electrical equipment to approved permanently installed receptacles.

When can a disconnect for electric be requested and reconnected without a permit?

  • Painting a house
  • Changing out a main breaker

Who do I contact if I do not need a permit for an electric disconnect?

Contact customercare@georgetown.org and das@georgetown.org or call (512) 930-3640

Is there an electrical service application and details? 

Yes. Please click here 

How much is an electrical permit? 

See our current fee schedule 

Can I have an additional meter at my home for my accessory building?

Only one electric meter is allowed per residence. See section 5.0202.B.4 of UDC   

City of Georgetown Electric Engineering 

For all other questions, please email permits@georgetown.org

Print Friendly, PDF & Email